Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.0L STUCK oil pan! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4.0L STUCK oil pan! HELP!!

Maybe somebody out there has run into this. Putting a new oil pump on my 1990 4.0L xj and after removing ALL bolts/studs and other obstacles(shocks, starter, exhaust, etc.) so that the pan is free to maneuver out from under the jeep, it WON'T budge! I've whacked it repeatedly with a rubber mallet as hard as I can without denting it, I've tried gently prying with a thin prybar short of bending up the flange, sprayed pb blaster on it, etc. all to no avail. The old gaskets/rtv will NOT let go! Also there's not a lot of room under there to use just anything as all of you know. I really don't want to buy another pan by destroying this one getting it off, but it may come to that. HELP!!
Old 11-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by SAH104
Maybe somebody out there has run into this. Putting a new oil pump on my 1990 4.0L xj and after removing ALL bolts/studs and other obstacles(shocks, starter, exhaust, etc.) so that the pan is free to maneuver out from under the jeep, it WON'T budge! I've whacked it repeatedly with a rubber mallet as hard as I can without denting it, I've tried gently prying with a thin prybar short of bending up the flange, sprayed pb blaster on it, etc. all to no avail. The old gaskets/rtv will NOT let go! Also there's not a lot of room under there to use just anything as all of you know. I really don't want to buy another pan by destroying this one getting it off, but it may come to that. HELP!!

someone must have used some tough sealer/glue.
you might need to force a razor kinife in where you can get to it and see if you can get thru somewhere. if so, then struggle with more spots till it gives up, hopefully b4 u do!
Old 11-18-2016, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Like Nujeepguy said, shove a razor blade in there and start cutting the gasket. Hitting the pan isnt going to get you anywhere
Old 11-18-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I talked to a friend today who's literally a "Mr. Goodwrench" and he suggested the same thing. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2016, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Best way I've found is to hammer a stiff ( not flimsy dollar store type) putty knife between the parts at the gasket. Use a small ball pein and don't get crazy. Once you get it in start working and prying till you get it down. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2016, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

Originally Posted by chipmaker
Best way I've found is to hammer a stiff ( not flimsy dollar store type) putty knife between the parts at the gasket. Use a small ball pein and don't get crazy. Once you get it in start working and prying till you get it down. Good luck!
a flimsey one is needed for certain putty jobs, but ive got one like you mentioned. i used it to chizel rusted floor metal free from the frame. it actually cut spot welds! i give it a touch on the grinder sometime to keep it dangerous!
yeah, gotta use the right hammer.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

I would suggest some heat. Cook that glue some and it ought to give up. A heat gun should get it. Heat an area up, then work the putty knife in by hand. I wouldn't smack it with a hammer as that can damage your mating surface.