Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.0 install, can't turn engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 06:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 4.0 install, can't turn engine

Hi all, 2000 XJ auto that I'm dropping the 4.0 back into.

When I first went to install the engine I had it pretty much lined up with the trans but it refused to sit flush. Turns out the torque converter wasn't seated all the way.

Pulled the engine back up and out. I spent about half an hour trying to get the torque converter to seat. I have a spare flexplate that I used to make sure it was fully seated. I thought I had gotten it right because when I held the flexplate up to it the edge of the flexplate was just about flush with the edge of the bellhousing. The engine bolted up easy this time, but now when I go to turn the engine by hand with a ratchet or breaker bar it won't budge.

Yes it turned over easy before installing. Could the torque converter still not be seated all the way? Driving me nuts at this point, this isn't my first engine install either. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Sounds like convertor still no seated. Flywheel would be in bell housing not flush...
Old 06-12-2017, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks, I figured that's what it was. I pulled the engine back out and played around with the torque converter. Thought I might have it at that point because the flex plate sat just inside the bellhousing when bolted up. But when I looked at how far the flex plate sits from the engine, it needs to sit at least 1/4" inside if not more.

So I pulled the converter off the trans completely and started over. With enough wiggling I was able to seat it ALL the way on, to the point where it was rubbing the bellhousing on the back side. Everything bolted up nice and easy once I dropped the engine back in. If anything the bolts from the flexplate to the converter actually had to pull it forward a little bit.

Good stuff