Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.0 Engine rebuild video

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 4.0 Engine rebuild video

Just an FYI for anyone who wants to tackle rebuilding their engine...
I bought this video off of ebay for around 20 bucks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rebui...sQ5fLiterature

I have built plenty of sbc and pontiac engines in my day, so I'm not exactly "inexperienced" about engine building. I thought that this video might have some good tips and tricks for jeep engines, which it did not.
HOWEVER - If you are on the fence about your ability to tackle this job, this would be a great way to take some of the mystery out of it. This guy does a pretty thorough job of covering all the steps in a garage rebuild. It is not like Horsepower TV where they put a 10K engine in every project they build. He does everything with cheap hand tools and almost no specialty stuff. Also, something that I liked, that you might not - Instead of editing out his mistakes, he actually stops and explains what he did wrong, which may help some people not make the same common mistakes. The video is decent quality, but is definitely not a hollywood production.
By the way, for those without a lot of experience - The hardest part of rebuilding a jeep 6 is actually getting the engine out.
Not trying to push a product, but if you're thinking about rebuilding your motor and have never done it, it's well worth the 20 bucks.