Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 some electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 some electrical issues

Have started having some electrical issues with 2001 cheeroke. Its is an on-going problem, just very wierd. It started with the gauges working at times and not working at other times. It is when the vehicle is started, if the gauges work when started they stay working, if not they will come on intermitantly while driving but never stay on for long. It involves all gauges speedo, tach, fuel, battery etc. If the problem occurs and the vehicle is turned off and restarted and it doesnt occur the bat guage reads a little below 14 prob 13 or 12, vehicle when normally operating is always at 14. Also the radio stop recieving any radio station both am or fm. I ran as best i could the ant wire to see if that was broken anywhere to no luck also took ant off and cleaned the contact as best i could, during that time the tape player worked fine. The problem has since fixed itself and i get all radio stations as normal. The windows would be the next issue, the controls from the driver side always work however if the lock is on and then turned off the windows still will not work from there own controls. This problem has seemed to go away as of late, but I figure it is all connected. The newest issues i have noticed is when the gauge problem is happening or is going to happen the airbag light comes on and stays on. This is new within a few days. I have so far cleaned the battery terminals and replace the connectors. Checked all fuses, and made sure all relays are seated properly. I have no idea where to go next and really dont want to drop money at the shop on something i can do if i can figure out the problem. Any help is appreciated.