Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ weird door lock/window issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 2000 XJ weird door lock/window issues

Hi all,

2000 XJ with 185k

I just finished rebuilding the engine and getting everything in shape, but it has these weird door lock and window switch issues.

Drivers side door/window switch: works the other 3 windows no problem, but not the drivers door window. Lock switch only locks the hatch (no doors), doesn't unlock anything.

Passenger side door/window switch: works it's own window no problem. Is able to lock/unlock all the doors and hatch except for the driver side door and the back passenger door.

I know the solder points inside the switches can go bad, so I'm going to start there. Also the driver door window not working could be the motor I'm guessing. But what the HECK? Oh and the airbag light is on
Old 01-16-2017, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Check the wiring where it comes through the door jamb into the door. Thats a very common spot for damage to occur and can cause some weird shorts/issues when it wears through the wire insulation.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by LACK
Check the wiring where it comes through the door jamb into the door. Thats a very common spot for damage to occur and can cause some weird shorts/issues when it wears through the wire insulation.
I'm in the process of doing that right now. I pulled both front door panels and checked out the switches first. The passenger side was fine but the drivers side switch had 4 broken (cold) solder joints so I fixed those. Now the door locks work better, but the drivers front door and back pass. door still won't work.

I pulled the boot off the drivers door, looks like someone has already been in there fixing it before. I don't see any broken wires, but some of small cuts in the rubber insulation, and one has two half-*** soldered splices in it. I'll have to trace is and see if maybe that's why the door lock isn't working. I'm guessing the back pass. side door also has broken wires.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

The fun part is that the copper can be broken inside the jacket. No visible problem, and it will possibly work intermittently.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l i6

Originally Posted by t.mcginley.jr
Hi all,

2000 XJ with 185k

I just finished rebuilding the engine and getting everything in shape, but it has these weird door lock and window switch issues.

Drivers side door/window switch: works the other 3 windows no problem, but not the drivers door window. Lock switch only locks the hatch (no doors), doesn't unlock anything.

Passenger side door/window switch: works it's own window no problem. Is able to lock/unlock all the doors and hatch except for the driver side door and the back passenger door.

I know the solder points inside the switches can go bad, so I'm going to start there. Also the driver door window not working could be the motor I'm guessing. But what the HECK? Oh and the airbag light is on
For the airbag light does your horn work?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:02 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l i6

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
The fun part is that the copper can be broken inside the jacket. No visible problem, and it will possibly work intermittently.
New clip? or is there another solution?
Old 01-17-2017, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

copper can be broken inside the jacket.
i had that on my left headlight hi beam right at the connector. i replaced the 3 pin conn.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Originally Posted by cojeepin
New clip? or is there another solution?

Just replace each wire with new. Splice it in with good quality butt connectors (can't go wrong with 3M, and you want the nylon, not the vinyl) using a proper crimper. Don't buy one of those kits with the crimper included. Those are junk!

Pay attention to the seam in the connector, too. You want the seam perpendicular to the jaws of the crimper, otherwise you will probably split the seam open and get a lousy connection.

Done correctly, crimping is every bit as good as soldering, and in fact, where there is vibration, it's better. That's why it's recommended for marine work, for example, while soldering is merely permitted.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Seasoned Member

I fixed all the wires on my drivers side door, now I'm moving on to the passenger side and back doors. The drivers side door is the only one with a working speaker, but the window and door lock don't work. I have to plug in the fixed harness and see if anything has changed. What a PITA

As for the airbag light, I just checked and the horn does work. The cruise control also comes on, but I haven't had it going fast enough yet to set the speed. SO that more or less rules out the clockspring right?
Old 08-10-2020, 09:05 PM

Default Same problem here.

What was the fix? my driver side window won’t work as well as the door lock. Everything else works perfectly. Wires in boot look to be connected I fixed the broken ones.

2000 XJ with 185k

I know the solder points inside the switches can go bad, so I'm going to start there. Also the driver door window not working could be the motor I'm guessing. But what the HECK? Oh and the airbag light is on [/QUOTE]

Old 08-13-2020, 07:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by sami shamkhi
What was the fix? my driver side window won’t work as well as the door lock. Everything else works perfectly. Wires in boot look to be connected I fixed the broken ones.
If you hit the door look switch on the passenger side do all the doors lock? (including driver side?). If they do then it's just the driver's side switch that's bad. You can get a new one on eBay for like $20 shipped. It's possible the window motor is also dead, but that shouldn't affect the door lock.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:03 PM

Default Window fix!

Originally Posted by t.mcginley.jr
If you hit the door look switch on the passenger side do all the doors lock? (including driver side?). If they do then it's just the driver's side switch that's bad. You can get a new one on eBay for like $20 shipped. It's possible the window motor is also dead, but that shouldn't affect the door lock.
hey just got home to an amazon package with new master switch. Installed new switch window works great! Still no luck with the door lock itself. Any ideas? Passenger door does not operate lock.