Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ sport running warm/hot

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 XJ sport running warm/hot

Hey guys! Need some advice! My 2000 sport runs normal temp (just below 210) on the gauge when I'm moving but as soon as I stop it goes up. Not to high. Hasn't run hot with me but it goes above the 210 mark on the gauge. As soon as I start moving again it goes back down. Is this normal? Or is there an issue?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

replace the clutch fan
Old 02-25-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 6 cylinder

I've got the same year, model with a 4.0.
It must be normal...maybe!
Over the last couple years; the fan clutch, radiator and water pump have been all replaced with new Mopar OEM parts and same same.
My electric fan works and turns on when needed OK. In fact, in hot weather when prolonged idling my electric fan gets a workout.

The only thing i haven't replaced is the fan shroud, its got the bottom half broken off as a casualty during the engine replace.
I've got a new one and gonna install it in the next few weeks when the weather gets hotter.
I think that'll make a difference. How much? We'll see!

Make sure your electric auxiliary fan turns on when the temp gets around or over 210 deg. and make sure the fans have intact shrouds around the blades.

What noticeably helped in my case was cleaning out the radiator fins from bugs, dirt, etc. and straightening out any bent radiator fins.

To clean the radiator, i used a spray solvent especially designed to clean home air conditioner radiators. Bought from the local home improvement store and it worked great.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:33 PM

Is replacing the clutch fan a tough job? The radiator is brand new I believe. Just recently bought the jeep. The p/o said he just had it flushed and replaced.
There is a part of my fan shroud missing.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:20 PM

Depends on how mechanically inclined and/or experienced you are.
Took me about 20 minutes or so to replace the fan clutch. Not a big deal. Check Utube on how to do it.
If you have any doubts, have a shop do it. Shouldn't be that much $$$. Have them inspect it first. Like i said replacing mine didn't make a difference.

While the fan blade is removed when replacing the clutch, thats an excellent opportunity to replace the broken shroud too and also inspect the serpentine belt for wear.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NC-XJ
Is replacing the clutch fan a tough job? The radiator is brand new I believe. Just recently bought the jeep. The p/o said he just had it flushed and replaced.
There is a part of my fan shroud missing.
like the previous post said, it is easy. One of the easiest repairs you will ever do, and it's only a $40 part,
Old 02-25-2017, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

I have a 98 that had no mechanical fan installed when I purchased. It also had a few leaks in the radiator and the water pump rattled badly. Would run a little over 210 and electric fan would kick on and bring it back down below 210 and kick off. Drove it this way for a year with no overheating. Finally flushed, installed non leaking radiator from my 99, new water pump and t-stat with housing. New hoses and heater hose tube. Also a clutch fan from another 98 I picked up for parts.
Since doing all the work it hardly ever reaches 210. Oh, and I didn't have a shroud for the clutch fan so I didn't install one. I've been driving it this way for a year +. I don't recall the electric fan kicking on at all since either.
Now my wife drives an 01. It has always ran a tad over 210. Sitting idling after driving for a while, even in 60 degree temps the electric fan kicks on. The clutch fan engages every single time the jeep is started. It has never overheated but it has had heat soak a few times in like 4 years. I really think the 2000 & 2001 run hotter. Might have something to do with the redesigned head. Part of the redesign was smaller exhaust ports so it would heat up quicker to reduce the amount of time it ran enrichened thereby creating less harmful emissions. Possibly this could cause it to just run hotter all the time?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:40 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:25 PM
Banned

Year: 2000 and 1998

my 00 has no engine fan shroud, never hear/see the electric come on.
temp never goes over 210,moves down a "needle" below 210,then back up close to 210 every 20-30 seconds as i suppose the tstat cycles.its steady like this after warmup and running down the road.great heat inside.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

x2 on the mechanical fan & check your shroud as well. check out this link

definitely has the symptoms of a clutch fan issue.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Well I'm planning on an overhaul of the cooling system on the 01 soon. Then I'll see if that's what it needed. It's about at 210,000 and likely all factory parts. We picked it up with about 160,000 and I don't recall it running as warm back then. It's never overheated just runs a tad warmer than my other 3. One 99 and two 98's. It's about time to do some preventative maintenance being it's the 0331 head.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Waynerd
....Now my wife drives an 01. It has always ran a tad over 210. Sitting idling after driving for a while, even in 60 degree temps the electric fan kicks on. The clutch fan engages every single time the jeep is started. It has never overheated but it has had heat soak a few times in like 4 years. I really think the 2000 & 2001 run hotter. Might have something to do with the redesigned head. Part of the redesign was smaller exhaust ports so it would heat up quicker to reduce the amount of time it ran enrichened thereby creating less harmful emissions. Possibly this could cause it to just run hotter all the time?
I think you're on to something.
With increasing gov. emission regulations, Chrysler had to do something to get that old engine design to comply.
My 2k acts exactly like your wife's 01 and apparently the OP'ers 2k also.

There are two exhaust configurations for these years, the two cat Ca. system and the one cat system.
Maybe one system runs cooler than the other?

MY 2K has the one cat system where the exhaust pipe runs extremely close (about a 1/8") along the left side of the oil pan.
Don't know if its the same for the 2 cat exhaust system. That high temp exhaust pipe has got to be heating the oil.
I noticed the oil pan paint is also blistered next to the exhaust pipe.
Seriously thinking on wrapping that portion of the pipe.

This oil heating scenario might might be minimal for highway speeds but for prolonged idling that can't be helping the situation.
Might be ok for 0 deg Winter days but not good for 100 deg Summer days.

Last edited by moparado; 02-26-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Ours is the 50 state emissions. Which I'm sure the two bulbous pre cats contribute a little extra heat to the oil pan and block.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Waynerd
Ours is the 50 state emissions. Which I'm sure the two bulbous pre cats contribute a little extra heat to the oil pan and block.
And cooks injector #3.

When replacing the fan clutch, stick a piece of cardboard between the shroud and fan to avoid nicking the radiator. Accidents happen.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 02-26-2017 at 09:43 PM.