Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ Overdrive Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 XJ Overdrive Issue

First off I'm a newbie here and would like to apologize for immediately asking a question before being an active member, I usually try not to be that guy

Also I tried to search for answers before starting a new thread for something that has probably already been covered somewhere but that dang search left me scratching my head....so here I am.

Here is the deal. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. 4X4, automatic 4.0.(140 K miles) I love, love, love my Jeep but the dang thing does not like overdrive. It shifts into it less than half of the time. I will give you guys the symptoms and hopefully you can help me out.

Like I said it is somewhat intermittent but after hitting highway speeds, it stays in top gear the majority of the time. So at 65'ish mph I'm at like 2800 rpm and when its working it drops down to just a little over 2K. It shifts smoothly into all gears and my fluid levels are good. I tend to think this is a sensor wacking out because I can trick it by shutting my XJ off while at HW speeds (convenient and safe, I know) and then turning it back on and it will immediately go into OD and work normally.

So I've been told two things, it could be the Throttle Position Sensor, or the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid...... but I am not familiar with either of these so I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. Also is there 2 TPC's for the XJ? I read something about one for the PCM and one for the transmission? I guess I just don't have a clue about this stuff. If anyone has had the same issue/symptoms please help a fella out

Edit: No specific codes for this issue are coming up when scanned at the moment, just one for the radiator fan relay but I don't think that is related.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The lockup can be disengaged by the brake pedal switch. I think the post '96 XJs had (2) vehicle speed sensors, and at least one of them affect shifting as does the throttle position sensor.

Have you checked the reisistance on your solenoids? There should be a grey 7 pin connector near the trans dipstick. The female end goes to the trans, and 3 of the row of 4 pins go to the solenoids. Put one meter lead on ground and the other on each of the pins. Good solenoids should read 12-18 ohms resistance.

Have you adjusted the kickdown cable?

The throttle position sensor is on the throttle body and actually slips over the end of the shaft that opens the butterfly. It has 3 leads. With the ignition on one lead provides 5v, one is ground and the other is the output. I recall my '96 output .76v with the butterfly closed and 3.8 with it wide open. It needs to be a linear progression with no dead spots, so is easier to test/view accurately with an analog VOM.

Last edited by excess650; 06-17-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Get the rig up to 55 and maintain that speed. Once the tranny drops out of OD use your left foot to lift the brake peddle. If the RPM's drop (indicates it's in OD) you've found the problem. Adjust the brakelight switch, it's a bit too far away from the pedal arm.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Just posted in another thread

My 2¢-

Check the fuse in #10 on the PS kick panel.
that little 15 amp fuse controls a ton of stuff including back up lamp switch and the transmission range sensor.

I had the same problem with OD shifting. Fixed the cable length with the "Free Fix" thread trick and replaced the fuse at #10. Shifts like butt- ahhhhhh
Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 PM

Thanks for all of the info guys! I have not been able to test any of the solenoids but I will do that when I get home from work. I will also try that brake pedal trick and see if that does anything.

How do you adjust the kickdown cable? Can someone link me to a thread that describes that?

You guys are awesome
Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 PM

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8
Default Adjustement Thread

I know this thread is pretty much closed but if anyone else comes across it, here is the link for the quick fix referenced above.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/free-quick-fix-41821/

It definitely works!