Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ - Lifter Tick or Piston Slap?

Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2000 XJ - Lifter Tick or Piston Slap?

I need the advice of members that are further down the XJ knowledge road than me. (which is probably most of you...)

I just bought my 5th Jeep XJ. 96k miles, Silver. Great shape with no rust and all stock with no modifications.

Only problem was the previous owner said it idled rough and the engine light would come on intermittently. He said the code was for a #6 misfire. He also said he found a crack in the coil pack above #6. It was a city Jeep and he said he hardly used it so he never got around to changing the coil. I heard a tick tick coming from the engine, but it wasn't bad enough to stop me from buying it.

He seemed honest and according to the miles shown since he registered it 2 years prior, he did only put a few thousand miles on it

Drove it home an hour away and it ran great. The idle was not that bad. (Maybe + or - 75 rpm)

Next day it started right up, but the Tick Tick that I thought was just a dirty lifter seemed louder, when I drove up my driveway it was noticeably louder.

After the car warmed up it went almost all away.

So I changed all the spark plugs with Champion Copper, put a coil pack from my previous 2000 XJ and a new air filter. Filled it up with Super Unleaded, then had Monro put a quart of some $5 engine cleaner stuff which they ran in the engine for 5 mins before the oil change.

Engine light went away and never came back. Idle improved almost back to normal, but Tick Tick Tick not much better.

Mechanic said that although I fixed the #6 spark problem, I needed to take the valve cover off and clean out the crap that probably built up from him driving around in the city with an occasional spark problem that is most likely causing the Tick Tick?

1. Do I take his advice on pulling the valve cover and will it do anything?

2. Do I run Diesel through it to clean it out and then drop the pan?

3. Do I use Sea-Foam in the oil and fuel?

I am putting in a new radiator, thermostat and water pump in the next few days so if I need to pull the valve cover off, I want to do it then.

I know I need to get the fel pro gasket and not use RTV if I do, but I would love to know if there is a magical engine fluid that will make the Tick Tick go a way.

The only thing I can add is that the Tick I am hearing seems to be a lifter or something that might not be getting oil at first start up. I have have plenty of these engines including a CJ-7 in the early 90's, but this Tick Tick seems a bit louder than the normal stuff. The fact that it reduces as the engine warms up is confusing to me also.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-25-2012, 09:48 PM

Nobody?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 2000 4.0

The fact that is getting less audible as it warms up is an indication of piston slap. My '04 does the same thing when I first start off with a cold engine. It is most noticeable under light acceleration in low gear but almost goes away after driving about 1/4 mile. It sort of sounds like a diesel and is not that loud...you can't hear it with the radio on.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000, (1957 Willys)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm curious. Go to YouTube and look at my valve video . (mrmoncheche is my YouTube page) I had almost no lubrication due to collapsed lifters. Pull your valve cover, start her up, and see if oil is coming through every push rod. It should be gushing. You can hear my tick as well. Let us know.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:43 PM

If I had to guess, my Jeep sounds like one lifter is not getting enough oil until it warms up.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 PM

JUst went out and turned the key. Sounds a lot better.

Tick Tick Tick is cut by about 50% from whatever detergent I threw in there.

Going to run MMO for 1500 miles or so and then Seafoam it for a few minutes before the oil change.

Any other recommendations?