Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Xj Going haywire

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 Xj Going haywire

Having a hard time narrowing down an issue I ran into on the driving home yesterday. The Jeep was running fine when I came to a stop at a red-light on my way home from work; however, the moment I begin to accelerate the vehicles electronics go crazy. The gauges, radio, dome light, and headlights all start flickering on and off while the power from the engine becomes pretty weak and hesitant. Even the windshield wipers start randomly swiping back and forth without even being on...I pulled off to the side of road and the road shut it off.

When I try and start it back up, all power shut off and it didnt even try to turn over. I disconnected the battery and tried again with the same results. On the next attempt I put it in neutral and it starts up fine...and I made it back home without issue.

Any tips on what my issue might be?
Old 03-17-2017, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Effecting so many things I would lean towards the main power lines. It's obviously a connection somewhere. I'd start with battery terminals, clean and inspect. Then the grounds. Check out Cruiser54 s website on which ones to clean. If you live in snowy rusty areas that's more likely it. Also, could be the wire connections to your fuse box under the hood. All connections need to be clean a day shiny. Get a can of Oxguard.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Start with checking your battery connections and cables. Then see my sig, #1. This may be less difficult than you are probably imagining at the moment.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Yeah as the others said, battery, cables, connectors, and grounds is where i'd start.
But whats strange is it started when putting it in neutral. Coincidence?

Does everything work ok all the time now by starting in Neutral?
Does it still act up when trying to start in Park?

If the battery, cables and grounds check out and the problem is still there...need more info!
Old 03-17-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice!
It started up fine this morning even in park and hasn't shown any signs of the issues yet. It did throw a CEL yesterday that I couldn't have scanned until today - P0715 - input speed circuit malfunction.