Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Jeep XJ Cracked Cylinder Head

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 Jeep XJ Cracked Cylinder Head

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice in regards to my 2000 XJ with 185000 miles on it. When i purchased the jeep it had no signs of a cracked head. After owning it for a few months I noticed the coolant reservoir was low. I topped it off and its low again. Because there were no obvious leaks and after reading about how often the 2000s heads crack I decided to look inside the oil cap and saw a faint green line. I'm assuming this is coolant and that I have a cracked head.

The jeep runs fine, no milky substance under oil cap, the combustion leak test showed no leak, oil pressure fluctuates but after doing some reading it sounds like the XJs are suppose to do that.

Assuming I have a cracked head, i'm looking for some advice on what to do. I have no idea how long its been cracked for. Do I just replace the head and hope the bearings are still in good order? Do I replace the head and the bearings? Do I buy a new motor? I've read the location of the crack will determine if coolant has affected the bearings but how do I determine that?

Any suggestions, tips or comments are appreciated!
Old 09-13-2016, 12:30 PM

you and me? we is alike... you and me? we may, in fact, be the same person...

swap dem heads, you... chances are all else is fine... chances are the head is cracked and trumping the possibility they aren't cracked...

it's a lot easier job than any other engine I've ever done this to- and will take you about five leisurely hours to complete.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by firejeep334
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice in regards to my 2000 XJ with 185000 miles on it. When i purchased the jeep it had no signs of a cracked head. After owning it for a few months I noticed the coolant reservoir was low. I topped it off and its low again. Because there were no obvious leaks and after reading about how often the 2000s heads crack I decided to look inside the oil cap and saw a faint green line. I'm assuming this is coolant and that I have a cracked head.

The jeep runs fine, no milky substance under oil cap, the combustion leak test showed no leak, oil pressure fluctuates but after doing some reading it sounds like the XJs are suppose to do that.

Assuming I have a cracked head, i'm looking for some advice on what to do. I have no idea how long its been cracked for. Do I just replace the head and hope the bearings are still in good order? Do I replace the head and the bearings? Do I buy a new motor? I've read the location of the crack will determine if coolant has affected the bearings but how do I determine that?

Any suggestions, tips or comments are appreciated!
Sounds like you have the crack..Thats how mine started, a little coolant missing over time small bubbles/green line..

what is your oil PSI when driving?
and what is it when sitting at the light.

if its 40psi while driving and hmmm 13-15psi at the light you might still be good and just get away with a new head.. You might be catching it in time. Me I didn't catch it in time new motor for me.

My psi started going from 40psi first start in the morning down to 28psi while driving. When at lights the needle would hit 0 and check gauges light would go off..
Old 09-14-2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dumajones
Sounds like you have the crack..Thats how mine started, a little coolant missing over time small bubbles/green line..

if its 40psi while driving and hmmm 13-15psi at the light you might still be good and just get away with a new head.. You might be catching it in time. Me I didn't catch it in time new motor for me.

My psi started going from 40psi first start in the morning down to 28psi while driving. When at lights the needle would hit 0 and check gauges light would go off..

Its about 50psi while driving at 50 mph and comes down to about 20psi when stopped. Is there a recommended gasket kit to use when changing the head?
Old 09-14-2016, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

This is seriously becoming my favorite thing to do when it comes to the 0331 heads

and I've had good luck with these for head gaskets http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....363384&jsn=420

Last edited by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ; 09-14-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:57 AM

My 00' XJ 4.0 is doing the same thing. 40psi at start and once the engine warms up and I hit a stop light and come to a complete stop the psi drops to 0 and the check gauge light comes on.. Does this mean that my engine is pass the point of no return and replacing a new cylinder head is no use?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by macgeng
My 00' XJ 4.0 is doing the same thing. 40psi at start and once the engine warms up and I hit a stop light and come to a complete stop the psi drops to 0 and the check gauge light comes on.. Does this mean that my engine is pass the point of no return and replacing a new cylinder head is no use?
Kinda sounds like it,, that's how mine was acting after the bearing damage was done. Installing a new head wont fix bearing damage. Time for a rebuild or new motor, but thats easy to say sitting at the computer . Its time to start looking into what damage is done if any. I say if any because what if its just the oil psi gauge acting up and not reading right.. But since you have the 2000 I would start looking into what options are out there on fixing it.. start hitting the forums and read all you can about 0331 and what paths ppl took to fix it.

Its the pits,, but it can be fixed with a little/alot of cash
Old 10-03-2016, 11:09 AM

Kinda sounds like it,, that's how mine was acting after the bearing damage was done. Installing a new head wont fix bearing damage. Time for a rebuild or new motor, but thats easy to say sitting at the computer . Its time to start looking into what damage is done if any. I say if any because what if its just the oil psi gauge acting up and not reading right.. But since you have the 2000 I would start looking into what options are out there on fixing it.. start hitting the forums and read all you can about 0331 and what paths ppl took to fix it.

Its the pits,, but it can be fixed with a little/alot of cash
Ahhh fug it. I'll drive until the engine croaks, get my money's worth and then put in a new engine. lol
Old 10-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Ahhh fug it. I'll drive until the engine croaks, get my money's worth and then put in a new engine. lol
Thats what I did. I just let it go until I had the cash for a new motor.. Motor honey and real thick oil is going to be your friend lol. Good luck
Old 10-03-2016, 02:01 PM

Thats what I did. I just let it go until I had the cash for a new motor.. Motor honey and real thick oil is going to be your friend lol. Good luck
Speaking of oil.. mine is due for an oil change. 10w40 thick enough?
Old 10-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Not sure, give it a shot. Might need thicker or a little motor honey in the mix.
Its a fun ride as it goes . Wait till you are at the light someday and hear a real loud knock! knock! knock! You will think,, is this it? Yepper that's it, all done . Time for the
Old 10-03-2016, 08:29 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Where do you live? What are the temp extremes?

You could run a single viscosity oil.

If you are running 10W30 now going to 10W40 might help.

If not, don't they make a 20W50?
Old 10-03-2016, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by KD3NE
Where do you live? What are the temp extremes?

You could run a single viscosity oil.

If you are running 10W30 now going to 10W40 might help.

If not, don't they make a 20W50?
Humid city D.C. Northern VA area
Old 01-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I-6 Cyl. w/ 0630Head+MikeWilsonAdapter (preserves engine/brain function w/ stronger head) 62mmTB
Default an adapter is needed to swap heads...

...if you plan to replace your 0331 with another series head like the 0630 or 7120, but keep the same exhaust manifolds.
​​​​​​​
read up on it here:

jeepexhaustadapter.com

or use a TUPY stamped Brazilian-made head.

save yourself.

​​​​​​​I'm not connected to that site or product.

Last edited by '00 XJ; 01-28-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-28-2017, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

i ran 20/50 in an old 302 ford. in winter it laid on top of cold heads and pressure dropped to 0! had to wait a few min, restart a few times till it got hot enuf.
finally we coasted to a stop,not enuf to pump up lifters!! long block.

took the v8 out thru the side door in the van .let me forget. i was younger!

Quick Reply: 2000 Jeep XJ Cracked Cylinder Head