Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Classic liftgate wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 2000 Classic liftgate wiring

I had an electrical problem with the liftgate wiring on my 2000 Classic. Specifically, the rear washer pump would spray fluid from the wiper port when I switched on the rear window defogger and the rear wiper did not work. After reading several posts on the Forum related to liftgate accessories, I looked at the wiring in the rubber boot and sure enough, two wires were broken. There are thirteen wires running through the boot with no spare space to flex so it's not surprising the wires broke. I didn't want to have a repeat of the problem, so I took the wires out of the boot except for two wires and rerouted them. After removing the liftgate panel and the rear headliner, I disconnected the three harness connectors from the triple connector of the body and drilled a new hole to the right of the triple connector hole and lined it with a 1.5 inch rubber grommet. (Images 1-3)
There isn't much space between the liftgate panel and the liftgate, so I added a plastic workbox after drilling out the 1.5 inch holes and attached it to the panel. I added 12 inches to the existing wires using the appropriate gauge wire and heat shrink butt connectors. I staggered the cuts to prevent a large lump in the harness. (Image 4)
Of course, it's necessary to drill the same size holes in the headliner and the top of the liftgate panel. I then bundled all eleven wires in flexible conduit and put at least 3/4 inch into each grommet as pictured. (Image 5). The Cherokee is FMC. Thanks to all Forum members who post their issues and help others keep the Jeeps rolling!!!
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Classic liftgate wiring-pic1.jpg   2000 Classic liftgate wiring-pic2.jpg   2000 Classic liftgate wiring-pic3.jpg   2000 Classic liftgate wiring-pic4.jpg   2000 Classic liftgate wiring-pic5.jpg