Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Cherokee XJ driver side door

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 Cherokee XJ driver side door

I bought a 2000 Cherokee Sport XJ recently. the Jeep is all stock. 98,700 miles. solid vehicle. The Driver Door sounds like its not closed when driving down the highway. the weather stripping isn't cracked or missing. its identical to the passenger side door. has anyone come across this? maybe all 2000 XJ doors are like this? im thinking of putting additional weather stripping in between the door and body. its just annoying driving down the highway. the door doesn't leak water. any input would help. thanks.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Is the fender liner in the wheel well? You'd be surprised how much wind it deflects.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:51 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The weather strips can become compressed over time and not fully seal. One remedy for that is to tuck rope or cord into weatherstips to expand them.
Also, if there was a lockout situation in the past, the method of entry is often prying top of door outward, adding shims to keep it pried open so that wire can snake into cab to unlock. If too much pressure was applied, the door could become deformed just enough to cause an issue.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
The weather strips can become compressed over time and not fully seal. One remedy for that is to tuck rope or cord into weatherstips to expand them.
Also, if there was a lockout situation in the past, the method of entry is often prying top of door outward, adding shims to keep it pried open so that wire can snake into cab to unlock. If too much pressure was applied, the door could become deformed just enough to cause an issue.
seems logical. I have no idea if it was ever pryed on. the door seems flush with the body when closed. the weatherstripping looks in good shape bit tje ropen iDea might work. I thought about adding some kind of additional insulation in the door jam somehow, but no idea what to use for that.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Here is what is inside the fender behind the inner fender in my '00 just in front of the front doors. The smaller part is spray adhesived, is that a word?, to the bigger piece. They separated on me and fell out when I was in there doing some housekeeping. See the first 2 shots. Somebody here suggested a pool noodle. Of course I could not use a orange one from the dollar store and paid $9 for that black one. Cut to the proper length and then cut the diameter in half. Shoved it in there. Guess it is doing what it is supposed to do.
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Cherokee XJ driver side door-img_0577.jpg   2000 Cherokee XJ driver side door-img_0578.jpg   2000 Cherokee XJ driver side door-img_0592.jpg  
Old 08-17-2017, 06:01 PM

I saw on YouTube channel bleepinjeep that he used half inch rope to shove in behind the weather stripping. His rationalization was that over time the weather stripping breaks down and doesn't hold its shape when the door is closed. I got some 3/8 inch black rope from Lowe's and shoved that in behind the weather stripping as good as I could. I drove home and the cabin sounded airtight. no wind noise coming from around the door jamb anymore. $4 in rope seemed to do the trick.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:01 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Success! Glad you figured it out and was an easy fix