Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2 problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2 problems

I just bought my first Jeep, 95 Cherokee. Got it cheap had a blown head gasket previous owner did not want to fix. It had no service records so I started doing all the standard maint. Radiator flush, oil change, diff fluid, trans, but I got stuck at the transfer case. The hex head plugs are huge and they are stuck, a big crescent would not remove them. I have read 30 and 32 mm on these things. Anyone know the size so I don't have to buy 2 10 dollar sockets? Second problem, the ride is stock height and anytime you get it to 70+ it shakes badly, the previous owner jokingly called it "death wobble" when I bought it from him. Turns out it's not just a clever name. Anyone know how to stop it?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Mine is a 30mm but you can always go to autozone and just rent the sockets. As for the death wobble this is commonly an issue with steering linkage. Although i personally have found that just about any component for the front suspension can cause it. It can be the wrong caster, toe in, unbalanced wheel weights, trac bar, broken or loose steering components like TREs or the linkage itself, could even be the rubber bushings on the control arms are at the end of their life and are causing the axle to sit wrong. Like i said can be anything just have to look and inspect everything. If i were you i would start with getting the tires balanced and go from there.