Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2.5 inch lift kit question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Thumbs up 2.5 inch lift kit question?

HEY FOLKS! IT'S GOOD TO COME TO AN XJ FORUM RATHER THAN A GENERAL MIXED BAG OF VEHICLES CHAT ZONE.

I'VE BEEN SEARCHING THROUGH THIS FORUM FOR A LITTLE WHILE NOW AND CAN'T FIND MUCH ON 2.5 INCH LIFTS. THERE'S A LOT OF 2" AND 3" STUFF, BUT I'M LOOKING FOR A 2.5'' LIFT KIT. ANY WEB SITES THAT WOULD BE OF INTEREST AND APPROX. COST ASSOCIATED WOULD BE GREAT. I'VE GOT QUITE A BIT OF EXTRA WEIGHT ADDED TO MY JEEP(ALL SELF MADE STUFF) SO I WAS WONDERING AT APPROXIMATELY HOW MUCH VEHICLE WEIGHT WOULD BE REQUIRED TO COMPRESS NEW SPRINGS (FRONT AND REAR) TO DROP 1/2 INCH???

ANY THOUGHTS OUT THERE. I LOVE JEEPS, AND I'M ALL OVER THEM LIKE A FAT KID ON A SMARTY, BUT I SUCK AT SPECS!

HELP!!!!

XJ99
Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 stock

Google can be your friend.

and you do not have to write in CAPS, we drive jeeps and can read.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Any particular reason you're stuck on the 2.5" lift. Why not just take it to 3". The difference would practically be imperceptible. Or do the 2".

Last edited by danimal; 11-04-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 PM

Sorry about the "CAPS" thing. Habit I guess.
I'm stuck on the 2.5" lift because I don't want to go too far from stock, as I read, you start running into drive line angular issues when approaching 3". Additionally, I don't want to increase my C of G much either. Also, a friend mentioned that whatever lift you install you automatically lose a 1/2 inch. Yes, it's a minor lift, but I really can't afford to pay too much right now and I am only planning on 30x9.5R15 A/T tires.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:54 PM

Did a 3" on the one in the avatar. Didn't have to do anything special with it as far as trackbar, control arms, transfer case etc. This kit would be perfect with a 30X9.5 tire. I've put on 31X10.5s but the tires only measure and actual 30.5" tall. Click on the "my photos" thing and it tells about the lift. It's not much more dificult than a spacer lift that you're looking at doing. It's only a 1/2" more.

DSCF0739.jpg?t=1257397132

Last edited by danimal; 11-04-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 PM

That's a solid looking machine you have there. I've owned an old CJ-7 a little while ago, and it originally came with 31" tires. It felt like they bogged it down. I later down sized to 30's and it made a world of difference.(Steering/Take Off/ Stopping, etc...) Hence, 30x9.5's is my max. Also, I want to keep "form-drag" and weight from being too much of a fuel suck down the highway to potential off-road destinations. I'm slowly adding to my '99 Jeep via K&N air filter, Aux Lighting Systems, New O2 sensors, etc...
As for a friend telling me about losing 1/2" when lifting a jeep, any thought's on the weight to suspension compression ratio?.....ball park figure??? Thanks again for you info. Greatly appreciated.
This Jeep is my daily driver, and fuel economy is always a concern up here in Canada. Our fuel prices suck.....!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Power-wise the change was negligible. No significant difference between the 235's that were on it and the 31's after the lift. The 235's measured in at an actual 27.5 inches. and like I said the 31's were actually 30.5 inches.

Can't speak to the fuel thing as I never calculated mileage prior to, or following the lift.

Aerodynamically speaking I don't think 1/2" of additional lift would really make much of a difference from a fuel economy standpoint. The bigger tires might, but irregardless of lift size, you already know what size tires you want to run and whether you go with a 2.5" or 3" lift that's not going to change right?

Not sure I understand the last question in your post. Weight to compression ratio?

Last edited by danimal; 11-05-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by danimal
I've been thinking about trying to get those rims for my xj. How is the backspacing compared to the stock rims? Do they stick out any further at all?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:06 AM

Found these on Craig list. They're a stock Jeep rim and I believe they came off a TJ. I'm pretty sure the backspacing is the same as the rims that the XJ came with. When I bought these I was actually looking for the stock Jeep rims that look like the old Crager mags. These had the 31's on them already and I didn't have to buy new tires, so went this way.

A shot from the front. They stick out a little, but keep in mind since it's a solid/live axle the top of the tire will tip inwards when the suspension is working. Gives you some more room than an IFS would.

DSCF0810.jpg?t=1257435272

This is what they replaced.

Stuffed.

Last edited by danimal; 11-05-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 AM

About that Weight to Compression ration question.....is there a formula or some chart you might know of that calculates the amount of force required to compress a leaf or coil spring with different vehicle weights? The reason why I ask, is I read somewhere on the net, a "tips" section on a Lift Kit web site stating "one should consider their own vehicle weight when considering/applying whatever height of lift". Example: a three inch lift will never be an actual three inch lift when the vehicle is sitting on the driveway with it's full weight baring down on the springs. Hence, the more after market material/custom equipment you add, will invariably produce a lower actual/visual lift. So, in a nutshell; as an example: will 100 lbs added weight(ie: winch, or roof rack, or on-board equipment...) yield a 1/2 to 3/4 inch loss of lift (These are just arbitrary numbers of course, I'm pulling these numbers out the air)???? Thoughts?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by XJ99
About that Weight to Compression ration question.....is there a formula or some chart you might know of that calculates the amount of force required to compress a leaf or coil spring with different vehicle weights? The reason why I ask, is I read somewhere on the net, a "tips" section on a Lift Kit web site stating "one should consider their own vehicle weight when considering/applying whatever height of lift". Example: a three inch lift will never be an actual three inch lift when the vehicle is sitting on the driveway with it's full weight baring down on the springs. Hence, the more after market material/custom equipment you add, will invariably produce a lower actual/visual lift. So, in a nutshell; as an example: will 100 lbs added weight(ie: winch, or roof rack, or on-board equipment...) yield a 1/2 to 3/4 inch loss of lift (These are just arbitrary numbers of course, I'm pulling these numbers out the air)???? Thoughts?
Well all that's a given. Haven't seen any specific formula or calculations though.

As for the vehicles weight (stock) and how much lift a particular kit provides? It seems to me that should all be calculated by the lift manufacturer prior to them assessing it a height value ie 3" 4" etc.

Granted anything above the stock weight would have to be accounted for, but again.......haven't seen a ratio forumla for it.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:27 AM

DANIMAL.

Thanks for all your help. I think I'll go with a 3" lift. In the end, if I end up getting 31" tires, at least I'll know they'll fit.
Thanks again eh!
Cheers!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

must admit, i would go 3" as well.
im just under that at mo, 2" blocks at the fromt and diesel front springs, while they aint longer they have an extra coil so they dont sag as much, then i had my rear springs remanufactured and a full lenght spring put in, i belive you all call them bastard packs?
hasnt saged to much and still rides nice, no driveline probs ether, just need to relocate the track bar.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by XJ99
DANIMAL.

Thanks for all your help. I think I'll go with a 3" lift. In the end, if I end up getting 31" tires, at least I'll know they'll fit.
Thanks again eh!
Cheers!
Can't tell if you're saying that to shut me up, or if you mean it.

Anyway........I think you would be happy with the 3". Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:46 PM

DANIMAL,

Initially, I was thinking of the 3" lift, but wasn't sure how it would look with 30x9.5 tires. I think look is as important as performance, at least for the type of application I want to use it for. With three inches of tire clearance, I've been hesitant of having too much of a gap between the wheel well and the top end of the tire. I've seen guy's running around with wayyyy too much "gap" and I think it look really retarded. I'm trying to find on-line what it would look like with the above specs.(3" Lift and 30x9.5R15 tires).

Quick Reply: 2.5 inch lift kit question?