Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1st XJ! just found rust!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1st XJ! just found rust!

So I just got my first XJ used to have a CJ but after two kids and one on the way I had to compromise. Anyway I love the jeep but I ran into something that I did not have with the CJ, RUST. I found a little patch of rust on the bottom of the drivers side door. I heard that they tend to get it there. Anyway does anyone have any experience with rust them selfs? Best way to fix? I was thinking of just replacing the door then having it painted with a flat black. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:57 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

Rust is always tricky, the only real way to get rid of it is to cut it out entirely and replace with new metal. You can sometimes get away with grinding it down to shiny metal, but if the sheet metal is perforated, you will have to cut it out and replace if you ever want to keep it from coming back. This can be a lot of work or real expensive, unless you are good with a welder. (I am not.)

If the rust is on the inside bottom of the door (where the door skin is folded over the door frame), one option is to grind it down to shiny bare metal, then use POR-15 or bedliner to cover it back up. I went this route with my XJ: it had very minor rust at the bottom of the doors, with no rust holes, only "flakes" of rust. After grinding it down with an air-powered grinder, I used bedliner on the bottom half of the doors, the rockers and quarter panels. I suspect the repairs I did, along with the bedliner over it, will probably last at least 5 years or so.

You have a lot of options, but unless you completely cut out the affected portions, you should expect it to resurface at some point. Another option is to hit the junk yard and pull off a good door from a decent donor vehicle.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestions I think I might talk with my father in law as he welds for a living and see if he can do it. I like the idea of the truck bed liner as well! Easiest I think is a new door from the junk yard! Thanks again