Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 XJ rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1999 XJ rebuild

I found a 1999 XJ with 141k on it, its a 4x4 with a 5 speed manual 4.0 and its basically rust free besides the passenger floor pan. The only problem is it was rolled on its side in a ice storm 2 years ago. The guy bought it from the auction and is now selling. He had planned on building a retro fit Comanche but never got around to it so all the interior was pulled out. I went and drove the jeep and it runs and drives likes its brand new. I could tell it was well taken care of before the wreck. I plan putting it back together and maybe making into daily or a toy but wanted some advice on price and what all i would have to do to get the windows back in and all the other interior. He wants $1500 for it, he has all the interior parts and all the windows besides the windshield and a mirror and a floor pan for the passenger side. For a Michigan Cherokee, this is one of the cheapest and most rust free ones i have seen in a long time.

Passenger floor pan is rusted out.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

My concern is the roof and A-pillars. That is a lot of body work, but 100% doable. You will need frame measurements to get everything square so everything seals properly again, and a competant shop to do the work. Unless you have the means to do it yourself. Aside from that it looks clean. Is it worth saving? Definitely. Would i pay 1500? Not sure.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 08-24-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
My concern is the roof and A-pillars. That is a lot of body work, but 100% doable. You will need frame measurements to get everything square so everything seals properly again, and a competant shop to do the work. Unless you have the means to do it yourself. Aside from that it looks clean. Would i pay 1500? Not sure.
I dont mind that its beat up, its going be for off road use most likely. I am just concerned about the windows and if i am going to be able to put them back in myself or i just use Plexiglas