Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Cherokee idles rough, stalls, +more - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L
Default 1999 Cherokee idles rough, stalls, +more - PLEASE HELP!

PLEASE READ AND HELP - Thank you much!

I've been all over YouTube and Jeep forums trying to find a good answer.
I'm new to posting on any forums, so please be open minded and understanding.
I drive a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport - 4L Straight 6, 4X4, Automatic, 167000 miles

THE ISSUE

This has been an on going issue. It use to idle high went first started. Then it idled low when first started, but then got better after driving. But after letting it sit for a few (say, while going in the store) it'd idle rough again when first started. As of now, it's gotten bad enough that is won't start after cranking for awhile, but soon as I let off cranking it then starts. Then it runs rough and sputters and has stalled out a few times. If I get on the gas hard it sounds like a piece of crap ricer car. Might be misfiring or out of timing, Engine shakes pretty bad. idk, I'm not a mechanic. If I put it in neutral of park it runs a little smoother than in drive, reverse, etc.Oil pressure seems to drop some (arrow points straight up or a little to the left) more so at an idle and not so much when on the gas or driving. Stays around 210 or so, but smells hot around engine area. Exhaust smells bad when I romp on it, but otherwise is ok.

OTHER INFO, PERHAPS USEFUL.

About a month ago I put about third can of Seafoam in air intake/ vacuum thingy hose (exhaust look like crap and engine looked like it was smoking) and then put the rest of it in the gas tank. I'm wondering if that may be why it got worse, and not better.

I've had many cases of battery dying and going low, usually from running auxiliary electronics, and had to jump the jeep, or jump other people's cars, probably 10-15 times this since I got it about 3-4 months ago. I have, for a slit second, got the cables mixed up and connected the wrong terminals making for some interesting sparks. Maybe I fried some sensors or some computer stuff?

I drove it last month for about an hour at 70mph and it got to about 220 degrees and oil pressure dropped a lot when at idle, then jeep would keep acting like it need to downshift to be able to accelerate and pick up speed, but still didn't seem to be accelerating right. I then added new 10W-40 and filter and has been ok about that since, though I haven't taken it back on the highway since.

I don't think it has transmission issues. i use to have a 96 and had it's trans die and I'm very familiar with those sounds and issues.

Other known issues, perhaps related to it are: secondary electric cooling fan does not turn on (even after replacing relay twice), AC is not charged, there's a weird noise coming from around the front passenger side of the engine (humming hydraulic sounding noise), radiator fluid is in bad need of change (doing that soon - looks like crap), water pump doesn't seem to suck that well (probably needs replacement), I suspect the battery is old and dysfunctional, under the hood is kind of dirty in general, but not much rust anywhere on Jeep (it's from the south-east coast), exhaust has been replaced in the past and is kind of shorter, wires under hood look kind of old and maybe brittle, battery meter on dash has dropped dead when running at times (check gauge light came on) and then gone back to normal, etc. I plan to fix all this stuff over time, but at the moment it's hardly starting and running. And I'm pretty poor at the moment, lol

I'll be honest, this Jeep has seen some bad days. I bought it for $700 used from a friend of the family and it has been beat on a good deal. Since I've got it, it's been getting better. But I need your help! I'm tight on money and open to any suggestions, thoughts, comments, etc on any of my issues, but especially the main issue - thanks!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Bad idle, runs rough, sounds funny, runs hot but runs a bit better in neutral or park when there is no load- first thing I'd check for is a vacuum leak.
The following users liked this post:
ken's99jeep (08-16-2019)
Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

vacuum leak is a great place to start. Then a tune up with good parts. Oil pressure and temps sounds about right for an XJ.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 PM

Default Update - still need assistance.

UPDATE:

- Problem not resolved. here's more info. Please read and give any advice you have - thanks...

I did a little test I found out about online. Pushed down the odometer bottom and held it down, then turned key to on position (not start) and let off the bottom (even if held down still works) and then a test starts and the meter and lights go through some kind of test. After it's done, showed no codes on the digital mileage readout. But if I just turned key to on, then held the button down and turned key off, then it read "2.4" but someone was saying there's reads like "2.3" and that might just be the software version or something.

When I brought it to a mechanic he hooked it up and found no codes.
Only thing I've seen is when the battery is low that, the check gauges light might come on, and then the voltage meter drops dead. But I think that's just a battery issue.

By the way, the SeaFoam I added before has been run through and has fresh gas in it now.

When in gear idling, especially at a stop, I started hearing a sound from the engine area. Easy to heard down by the driver's side floor board. I thought it might be the transmission or something at first, but I'm hoping it's just the engine making a noise when it shacks from the rouge idle and is hitting something. Sounds like a gear grinding kind of clanking noise. Pretty sure it was the muffler, as I strapped it up and hasn't been an issue since.

After looking around I found a small hose that was off making a sucking sound. It was one of three on the driver's side of the engine area. It was the one closer to the front. I put that back on. Made some difference, but still has a major lag in response when getting on the gas and still idles rough (but a little better) and stalls out some, especially when first getting on the gas (mostly when in gear). That small hose will probably need to be replaced because it keeps falling off, as it is lose, and looks pretty fried.

I've been watching videos on YouTube by people like "Scotty Kilmer", "Eric The Car Guy", etc. Trying to understand basic mechanics as I'm not extremely smart in these regards yet, lol

After researching, I decided to check some sensors. I took the idle air control (IAC) off and it was rather dirty with a black looking grime. Took a cloth and carefully wiped down the outside with carb and choke cleaner. Put it back in and the seemed to be a pick up in response time, but still stalls and hesitate when you get on the gas at low rpms.

I also wiped out the throttle body piece around the flapper thingy. Also had a black looking grime on it. I also removed the throttle position sensor (TPS) and then the manifold pressure (MAP) sensor and I'm pretty sure the Jeep wouldn't run well or at all with either of them off. So I'm guessing they still work..? Any other sensors I should check?

I had someone tell me my engine was misfiring and someone also said my injector seal rings were bad. A couple of the injector thingys will turn in place and some won't. And one or two of them look like they're leaking where they join to the engine. Could this cause low fuel pressure and cause these issues?

My distributer cap is stuck on as the screws are shot and striped. One side of the cap is lose and moves about a 1/4 of an inch. Would this device cause a misfiring like issue. Spark plugs looked good.

I just really need this Jeep to work. My future depends on it and I don't have money to buy another Jeep. So if you have any advice for me, that'd be great - thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

the battery is low
There's problem #1. Electronically controlled vehicles get squirrely when the battery is low or bad and Chryslers seem especially susceptible. Have the battery load tested. What is your battery voltage, measured at the battery terminals with the engine off? And what is is with the engine running?

a small hose that was off making a sucking sound. That small hose will probably need to be replaced because it keeps falling off, as it is lose, and looks pretty fried.
And there's #2. That's a vacuum leak. Replace the hose along with any others that are in similar condition.

I took the idle air control (IAC) off and it was rather dirty with a black looking grime. Took a cloth and carefully wiped down the outside with carb and choke cleaner.
Clean the pintle and seat area too. Carb cleaner and toothbrush. Try to not get the electronic stepper motor wet.

I also wiped out the throttle body piece around the flapper thingy. Also had a black looking grime on it.
Search for the procedure to clean the inside of the throttle body.

A couple of the injector thingys will turn in place and some won't. And one or two of them look like they're leaking where they join to the engine.
If they're leaking you have a problem. If it's the injector itself leaking you'll probably have to replace it.

My distributer cap is stuck on as the screws are shot and striped. One side of the cap is lose and moves about a 1/4 of an inch.
Soak them with penetrating oil for a few days and try again, gently. The loose cap might very well be causing a misfire, idle troubles, etc.

I don't think you have a single major problem, rather a collection of smaller ones all contributing to your issues. Fix the stuff above and see where you are.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:41 PM

Default PROBLEM RESOLVED - Mostly, lol

Great news, the issue was resolved and fixed

My Jeep still has some other contributing issues that I know of.
But the main issues with the idling has been fixed.
Turns out it was the distributer cap/rotor, etc.
I guess it having been not tight caused a misfiring issues.
So I went ahead and had the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, etc all replaced as they were much overdue.

So, thanks to all you guys that helped!
Feel free to comment and continue this thread if you have any questions or anything I can help with.

Thank you
The following users liked this post:
quititman (04-14-2020)
Old 12-29-2013, 07:52 PM

Default Jeep same problem

My 1998 jeep grand Cherokee started doing this just a few days ago. First two times I was backing out of parking spots and had the wheels turned kind of sharp. the next time was when making a sharp turn on to a residential street. If I make sure I make extra wide turns into parking spots or turn in part way, then back out and again turn into tighter parking spots it keeps it from dying so far. There have been a few times when while trying to either park or pull out of places my wheels seem to get stuck and it wont move at all until I go back to where I started and make wider turn the second time. It also clunks and/or makes awful grinding clicking sounds when turning. I am a woman that knows very little about mechanics, but I did have the CV axles replaced about 3 months ago and this helped with the noise and stuff until now, but even after they where replaced I could tell something just wan't right still. oh by the way - I don't know if this has anything to do with it but my ABS light was on for about the last two or three months then just all of a sudden went out again. The alignment is not great but I don't think this is the problem. I bought this jeep from a dealership in Aug of this year and got rail roaded (being a woman and not using my head and checking to see if they where lying to me about blue book) and paid $3350 for it. It has 150,000 miles on it. This is my only vehicle and I am a single mom so without this damn thing running I will be screwed. Thanks for reading and PLEASE any help figuring this out and hopefully for not a lot of money would be so appreciated. One last thing I always have at least a quarter tank of gas in it when this happens, so its not running out of fuel do to empty tank.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by jeepsapiece
My 1998 jeep grand Cherokee started doing this just a few days ago. First two times I was backing out of parking spots and had the wheels turned kind of sharp. the next time was when making a sharp turn on to a residential street. If I make sure I make extra wide turns into parking spots or turn in part way, then back out and again turn into tighter parking spots it keeps it from dying so far. There have been a few times when while trying to either park or pull out of places my wheels seem to get stuck and it wont move at all until I go back to where I started and make wider turn the second time. It also clunks and/or makes awful grinding clicking sounds when turning. I am a woman that knows very little about mechanics, but I did have the CV axles replaced about 3 months ago and this helped with the noise and stuff until now, but even after they where replaced I could tell something just wan't right still. oh by the way - I don't know if this has anything to do with it but my ABS light was on for about the last two or three months then just all of a sudden went out again. The alignment is not great but I don't think this is the problem. I bought this jeep from a dealership in Aug of this year and got rail roaded (being a woman and not using my head and checking to see if they where lying to me about blue book) and paid $3350 for it. It has 150,000 miles on it. This is my only vehicle and I am a single mom so without this damn thing running I will be screwed. Thanks for reading and PLEASE any help figuring this out and hopefully for not a lot of money would be so appreciated. One last thing I always have at least a quarter tank of gas in it when this happens, so its not running out of fuel do to empty tank.

You should start a new thread.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:58 PM

Default Start New Post...

Ya, sorry, does sounds like another issue altogether. That sucks though, but I hope it works out. Start a new post and I'm sure people will be able to help. I ended up selling my Jeep because it had too many issues for me to afford at the time from the people that had it before me. Anyways, be strong and Happy New Year! Good Luck!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:29 PM

i JUST INHERITED A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY 97 CHEROKEE SPORT WHICH HAS BEEN RUNNING FINE FOR THE PAST SEVERAL MONTHS AFTER A PRETTY GOOD OVERHAUL. FIRST HORN WENT- REPLACED BAD FUSE, THEN BLOWER STOPPED ( CAME BACK A DAY LATER), BUT ONLY BLOWS COLD AIR NOW, OIL GAUGE READS LOW BUT OIL IS OK...LST NIGHT OVERHEATED AND HAD TO TOW HOME - NOW I GET NO IGNITION AT ALL I AM COMPLETELY STUMPED! NOTED YOU R TESTR WITH THE ODOMETER AND GOT NO CODE WHEN I TRIED.

HAVE YOU SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM OR DO YOU HAVE ANY NEW CLUES FOR ME TO TRY? AS USUAL THESE THINGS ALWAYS HAPPEN AT THE WORST TIME!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6 (The best engine ever made)

Originally Posted by Mojp
i JUST INHERITED A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY 97 CHEROKEE SPORT WHICH HAS BEEN RUNNING FINE FOR THE PAST SEVERAL MONTHS AFTER A PRETTY GOOD OVERHAUL. FIRST HORN WENT- REPLACED BAD FUSE, THEN BLOWER STOPPED ( CAME BACK A DAY LATER), BUT ONLY BLOWS COLD AIR NOW, OIL GAUGE READS LOW BUT OIL IS OK...LST NIGHT OVERHEATED AND HAD TO TOW HOME - NOW I GET NO IGNITION AT ALL I AM COMPLETELY STUMPED! NOTED YOU R TESTR WITH THE ODOMETER AND GOT NO CODE WHEN I TRIED. HAVE YOU SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM OR DO YOU HAVE ANY NEW CLUES FOR ME TO TRY? AS USUAL THESE THINGS ALWAYS HAPPEN AT THE WORST TIME!
1. nobody's gonna help you if you write in all caps, it's considered yelling, chill.
2. If you need help with something that's not related to this thread, post it somewhere else, or start a new thread.
3. I can't stand it when people going around saying "DONT BUY A JEEP! THERE TERRIBLE!! IVE HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH MINE AND IM NEVER BUYING ONE AGAIN!!!"
Things like that bother me, don't blame the brand or model as a whole.
4. If you have a question, ask.
5. We're all people here, and we all love our jeeps, if you don't, then shame on you, tell us and we'll make sure you do love your jeep.
6. We're all a family here, and we all got each other's backs.
Thank you,
pdowty68
Old 01-13-2014, 03:02 PM

Default Newbie Learning

Although I signed on about a year ago I am really new to this forum and how to navigate so please bear with me. With regard to the all caps issue my apologize to anyone who is offended...It was not my intention to yell, but rather the fact that I was multitasking on something else that required caps.

With regard to the rant about not liking Jeeps, family or anything of that nature I DID NOT SAY THAT OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT ANYWHERE IN MY POST so I don't understand where you are coming from!

All that being said I still need some help from anyone in this family who can give me some insight on how to approach this problem. ( as well as how to post and respond properly)

I have spent time and money this year trying to put the car in good shape because I in fact do like it a lot and I also cannot afford to buy another car given my personal situation. In the past year I have replaced: the computer, ignition coil, radiator, changed oil (only 3 mos. ago), tune up , new tires and other small tidbits...The car has been running well till now.

What puzzles me is the sequence of events leading up to my present situation: Signal lights/flasher went out 2 weeks ago - replaced relays -OK, Horn went out last week, then fan motor for AC- replaced fuse No Change - fan motor came back on it's own(?) but blows only cool air...Gauges come on and off indicating low oil pressure, however levels are proper when checking dipstick...check engine light does it's own thing (whenever)...Saturday went out in the afternoon and car stalled 1 block from my house and started after I played w/ the front of the ignition coil (just jiggled)...Sat night temp light came on car was overheating - no leaks visible, radiator cap cool and water/coollant in the overflow bottle, so I shut down and had it towed home. Now I get no ignition at all. Power comes on to operate radio, lights etc. Puzzled to hell!!! Please Help!
Thanx

Originally Posted by officermike274
UPDATE:

- Problem not resolved. here's more info. Please read and give any advice you have - thanks...

I did a little test I found out about online. Pushed down the odometer bottom and held it down, then turned key to on position (not start) and let off the bottom (even if held down still works) and then a test starts and the meter and lights go through some kind of test. After it's done, showed no codes on the digital mileage readout. But if I just turned key to on, then held the button down and turned key off, then it read "2.4" but someone was saying there's reads like "2.3" and that might just be the software version or something.

When I brought it to a mechanic he hooked it up and found no codes.
Only thing I've seen is when the battery is low that, the check gauges light might come on, and then the voltage meter drops dead. But I think that's just a battery issue.

By the way, the SeaFoam I added before has been run through and has fresh gas in it now.

When in gear idling, especially at a stop, I started hearing a sound from the engine area. Easy to heard down by the driver's side floor board. I thought it might be the transmission or something at first, but I'm hoping it's just the engine making a noise when it shacks from the rouge idle and is hitting something. Sounds like a gear grinding kind of clanking noise. Pretty sure it was the muffler, as I strapped it up and hasn't been an issue since.

After looking around I found a small hose that was off making a sucking sound. It was one of three on the driver's side of the engine area. It was the one closer to the front. I put that back on. Made some difference, but still has a major lag in response when getting on the gas and still idles rough (but a little better) and stalls out some, especially when first getting on the gas (mostly when in gear). That small hose will probably need to be replaced because it keeps falling off, as it is lose, and looks pretty fried.

I've been watching videos on YouTube by people like "Scotty Kilmer", "Eric The Car Guy", etc. Trying to understand basic mechanics as I'm not extremely smart in these regards yet, lol

After researching, I decided to check some sensors. I took the idle air control (IAC) off and it was rather dirty with a black looking grime. Took a cloth and carefully wiped down the outside with carb and choke cleaner. Put it back in and the seemed to be a pick up in response time, but still stalls and hesitate when you get on the gas at low rpms.

I also wiped out the throttle body piece around the flapper thingy. Also had a black looking grime on it. I also removed the throttle position sensor (TPS) and then the manifold pressure (MAP) sensor and I'm pretty sure the Jeep wouldn't run well or at all with either of them off. So I'm guessing they still work..? Any other sensors I should check?

I had someone tell me my engine was misfiring and someone also said my injector seal rings were bad. A couple of the injector thingys will turn in place and some won't. And one or two of them look like they're leaking where they join to the engine. Could this cause low fuel pressure and cause these issues?

My distributer cap is stuck on as the screws are shot and striped. One side of the cap is lose and moves about a 1/4 of an inch. Would this device cause a misfiring like issue. Spark plugs looked good.

I just really need this Jeep to work. My future depends on it and I don't have money to buy another Jeep. So if you have any advice for me, that'd be great - thanks!
Old 06-22-2016, 07:03 PM

Engine: 4.0
Default Oxygen Sensor

I have had the same issue and replaced several things and took it to a mechanic too. Nothing worked. I read a post to change the upstream oxygen sensor.

I did and the jeep is smooth as ever!

so replace the upstream oxygen sensor.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:19 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Evap Hose line kit

Is there a Evap Hose line kit? I want to replace all evap lines in my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0.
It has a couple of whinning noises. Smoke test showed smoke at the evap fuel vapor pump and filter area
any replys would be appreciated.
I don't know how to start a neww thread yet.
thanks.