Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 XJ, Squeak and Clank

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1998 XJ, Squeak and Clank

Hi everyone,

Over the past month or so my 1998 XJ (4.0, 5-speed, 4WD, 158K miles) started to make two separate noises. I'll group them in the same email for now because they may be related. This posting is to see if you can make some recommendations.

First noise is a never-stopping eeee-OHHHHH-eeeee-OHHHHH as soon as I'm in 3rd gear, maybe at 35mph? Once the eeee-OHHHH-eeeee-OHHHHH starts it doesn't stop until I go below 35mph again. Highway driving with this noise is kinda a bummer. :-(

I changed out the rear u-joints last fall and I don't believe this to be the issue but I'm willing to be wrong of course. :-)

I also noticed that the noise itself, seems -- not completely sure -- but seems to be coming from the driver side rear wheel. Maybe a wheel bearing? Or brake things?

Second noise is a clank. It kinda sounds like hitting a tambourine with your palm. I hear it when I shift. I hear it when I go over bumps. I checked the exhaust hangers and that was not the issue; everything was fixed a few months ago when I had the muffler replaced so I don't believe that's root cause. I've had this noise pretty much since when I got this Jeep last year; it's just gotten worse now.

Love this forum and any recommendations you can make will be appreciated!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

do you have front axle u joints or are they of the CV variety? as for the clank are there any heat shields or skid plates under the car that could be loose or misinstalled? try pulling the rear drums apart inspecting them greasing the contact points where the shoes hit the backing plate and grinding down any rust ridges that have developed inside the drum. check all fluids... i will say it does sound like a u joint symptom with the eee ooo eeeooo.