Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 XJ help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 1998 XJ help needed

The passenger front leaks under the dash, when it rains heavily or when I wash. I found the leak but am not sure how to fix without pulling the whole dash out. It appears to be leaking from a foam gasket or seal, behind my glove box. I am hoping it is the windshield seal since I need a new one anyway. I pulled my windshield wiper motor cover to clean it out and that's when I discovered it leaking after I hosed it out. I couldn't see anywhere water would get in. I found a lot of people youtube with this problem but no one said how they were able to fix it.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Guaranteed it's leaking from the lip between the box and firewall right below the blower motor. Run the hose on top of the blower motor to check.

I just fixed this problem by putting some silicone there and up along the sides until the heater core goes bad then I can put new foam seals on the box. I am also going to make a "U" shaped diverter over the blower motor to help.

I removed the blower motor, unbolted the Evap solenoid and twisted the ac can out of the way to make room.

Last edited by MonacaYankee; 03-24-2018 at 10:53 PM.