Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 jeep xj sport won't start after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation 1998 jeep xj sport won't start after oil change

Hi everyone! This is my first post I came here very puzzled..
Last night at like 3am I changed my oil and came across a few problems because most of my tools rent with me and at my other house.. SO I went to Walmart got filters and oils came home figured out I couldn't get the filter off so went back! (All during this my jeep was fine) Then I got some stupid pliers that ****ed up the oil filter that was already on there...and then I slipped and hit my oil pressure sensor and it broke off with the two prongs.. I thought it was alright since the damn thing didn't work anyway and I just replaced it not to long ago..So I got the filter off changed the oil and stuff. I used 5w-30 high mileage and two liters of Lucas oil. I spilt some of the oil...some as in like an entire pint...all over the belts and fan..and I'm sure some got somewhere else..SO I finished up checked the oil went to bed... I woke up checked the oil...And then climbed in and noticed that all my gauges were at dead 0 when I got ready to start...I tried starting it cranked twice and then everything died..THe battery died there was no odomoter no lights or anything..SO I go to the conclusion that the battery died so I jump it and try and start it and it starts and its idling really really really rough..Infact when I tried to rev it just a little bit it died...so I try again and it will just crank and crank and crank with no luck of starting ...and STILL none of the gauges move...And then I assume electrical problem so i get baking soda and cover the battery posts with it and scrub them down and I read somewhere it could be the starter wires covered in oil so I use baking soda down there and scrub that too...STILL no luck...Hell I even tried using starter fluid just to get somewhere... I'm really stuck and any information would be super useful to me!!! Thank you so much!
Old 10-07-2016, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

That sounds like a absolute cluster **** to be honest, lol

Pull a spark plug out, check for spark. Does the Jeep crank at all on its own? Could you have mocked the neutral safety switch, or crank position censor during the debacle?
Old 10-08-2016, 07:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Try disconnecting the battery terminals and touch them together for 90 seconds. this will reset all the computers. then try and start. It's not uncommon for it to have a funky idle after this as it needs to ReLearn the idle. Replace the Oil Pressure sensor with a MOPAR part and make sure you get one right for your car, there are two types. One for an oil pressure Gauge, and one that is just for a Low oil pressure light.

The battery terminals on the jeeps have a very high failure rate. and can cause all sorts of weird low voltage problems.

if you unplugged or messed up the coolant temp sensor (front of engine on thermostat housing) this could also cause a hard start and funny running.

Brake parts cleaner is a great degreaser and will make quick work of cleaning up the engine bay.

If you dont have one already invest 30 bucks in a simple code reader and check to see what faults you might have stored.

Last edited by XJRed96; 10-08-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJRed96
Brake parts cleaner is a great degreaser and will make quick work of cleaning up the engine bay.

Yes, and it dissolves some plastics. Don't spray it in your alternator or starter! Haven't tried it, but I'll bet it would dissolve the insulation on the windings.

Morgan, you may have smacked your coil. If you broke or dislodged the connector going into it, you would have no spark.

You can also kill your starter by dumping oil in it.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by Morgan Garrison
Last night at like 3am I changed my oil
There's the problem, one hour after last call huh?

Lol, as stated above, check all sensors around where you were working, clean everything, try again.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Yes, and it dissolves some plastics. Don't spray it in your alternator or starter! Haven't tried it, but I'll bet it would dissolve the insulation on the windings.
Ideally you should not get any liquid of any kind on or in the alternator but sometimes life is not so convenient. a quick rinse with cleaner is better than prolonged exposure to oil or water. i'm not suggesting to bathe the engine in cleaner but it gives it a quick rinse and evaporates quickly. "most" plastics under the hood are designed to withstand the harsh chemicals such as oil, gas, de-greasers etc. Again i'm not denying the ability of brake cleaner to dissolve plastics, its no carb cleaner in that regard, but it definitely could and as a result should be used conservatively.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:07 PM

Alright so today... I pulled a spark plug out and cranked the engine and found out there was no spark! SO I pulled the rest out and the spark plugs look fine and cleaned them all off with carb cleaner and did the same for the distributer and kinda cleaned everything up, Then I went down to the starter and when I got the wires off I noticed how much oil there was..So I opened up the little protective thing and this bare copper wire was just covered everywhere in oil...SO I go to the store and get a degreaser and a electronics cleaner and I degrease everything that has oil on it and used the electronics cleaner on all the wires and the grounds and additional looking grounds that go into the side of the engine block.. Dont know if any of this information is useful but wish me luck! If you have any other suggestions please let me know!
Old 10-09-2016, 05:29 AM

If the starter is cranking I wouldn't focus to much attention on that. clean the wires the best you can and leave it at that. A common cause for no spark is a bad crank sensor. is it possible to have the jeep scanned for any faults?
Old 10-09-2016, 03:53 PM

An update! I just ordered a Crankshaft position sensor off amazon ( The OEM part) assuming thats the problem! ( I dont have a multi meter but it makes sense) it'll be here in two days ill keep you guys updated thanks so much! Even if thats not the problem that sensor needed to be replaced anyway haha!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Please don't install it! Return it!

Unless it is genuine Mopar, that is. These things are very picky about sensors. Never buy aftermarket sensors for these beasties.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:30 AM

SO I installed it and still got nothing, The part I pulled off was exactly the same part as I put back on.. Still no spark Any new ideas?
Old 10-13-2016, 06:33 AM

I think you need to purchase a code reader and see whats stored in the ECM. You can get a simple one from Amazon for less than $30 or go the wireless route with one of bluetooth options that are out there.

Have you pulled the distributor cap and checked inside for oil? A bad cam sensor can cause no spark. A bad coil can cause no spark. the Security system(if so equipped) can disable spark. A bad PCM. A blown fuse.

But again in today's day and age a code reader is just as important as a screwdriver or ratchet. and is a legitimate tool to have around if you continue to desire repairing your own car.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:42 AM

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/gre...4/#post2810887

Post#59 has specs for testing the coil.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

I always change MY oil at 3 am.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:48 PM

Year: 1995

You did this at 3 AM ????

Hey before you go and ..........

Get a CODE READER ........ one that can read PENDING CODES ( in case there is no Check Engine Light )

Last edited by KD3NE; 10-15-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 1998 jeep xj sport won't start after oil change