Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Jeep Cherokee XJ Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

1997 jeep cherokee XJ 3inch Lift Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1997 jeep cherokee XJ 3inch Lift Questions

Hey,

Sorry if this has already been adressed. I have a few questions.

What is a good 3 inch lift kit?

Also, Im really only going for looks more then use, so anything under 500$ would be best for me!

Ive found a few budget lifts for around 300$ are thoose good?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Check out wwwfatbobsgarage.com cheap budget boosts nice to deal with.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 PM

Thank you!

Also im pretty new to this so, can you explain this to me

what is a leaf?

and U-Bolt

and wat does stabilizers do?
Old 10-01-2010, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

A leaf spring is the suspension component you will find in the rear of your XJ. The long springs that run from in front of the rear axle to behind the rear axle in a curved (may be flatt if your susp is ***** out). An add a leaf kit will just introduce one new leaf to be combined with the stock leafs already there to stiffin the stockers back up. A kit with full leaf pack will be all new leaf springs to replace the old ***** out factory ones. I will say that an add a leaf kit is cheaper. A U bolt is just what it says, it two giant bolts that hold the leafs to the rear axle. If you just take a look its pritty self explanitory. A kit will also come with new front coil springs which are tall springs shaped like a coil.

and as for the stablizer, im assuming you are reffering to a steering stabilizer. What this does is just makes steering control a little better due to the changes in ride quality with lifts. Allthough you shouldnt need one if you are only considering a 3 inch lift. Check Rustys Offroad out. They have a good three inch kit. Its what i run + shackles and spacers for a total of about 5"
Old 10-02-2010, 10:26 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L
Default Add A Leafs are not all the same....

You didn't mention what year XJ we are talking about for starters.

The XJ Cherokee has rear leaf springs and in the front it has coil springs.
Leafs are essentially stacks of curved pieces of steel called leaves that are bolted together to form a LEAF Spring pack.
So take a look under the rear of your XJ Jeep Cherokee and you'll see them sitting on top of your axle.

If you notice, they go from longer lengths to shorter ones on the bottom. This is done to distribute the loads based upon the forces. With the longer springs up top being stronger than the shorter leafs below being weaker.

So as you are riding down the road the smaller impacts are absorbed by the shorter leafs and go progressively upwards supporting the vehicle.

The UBolts are what are used to attach the Leaf springs pack to the axle.
You need to buy new ones because you are increasing the size of the spring pack and the old ones are too short.

Steering stabilizer is essentially a shock absorber that dampens vibrations felt in the steering wheel.
A new one is recommended because the old one is at least 10 years old.

As far as a good lift kit within your budget, I am going to make one recommendation, and that is to go with a full length add a leaf (AAL) kit vs the half length AAL many offer at low low prices.

The reason being, the shorter leafs are installed on the bottom and are now expected to boost the entire leaf pack of older leafs pressing down on it. This leads to their eventually sagging. and now you have to buy something else because your back where you started.

So if you are looking for a good 3" lift, Under $500. and
If you aren't off roading it at all then I'd consider a Full Length Add A Leaf.
By either Rusty's or Rough Country.

Rusty's or Rough Country both have a basic Full Length Add A Leaf setup with Shocks for under $500. Allowing you additional funds for a Steering Stabiliser, Transfer Case Drop, and an adjustable Trackbar.

Which you'll need as well with a 3" Lift.
Why, because you are changing the suspension by 3" and it CAN produce dangerous handling characteristics called Wobble.

So these will cost approximately...

$30. for the steering stabilizer
$25. for the TCase drop kit
$170. for the Adjustable Tracbar

$215 approximately on top of the lift kit itself which is about $300. delivered you are right around $500.

I understand that Rough Country is a little better customer service and shipping wise so I might opt for them over Rusty's OffRoad.

Bang for your buck though, the full length AALs can't be beat. The aren't much more than the half leafs but will boost your existing springs until you can go to a bigger lift or full spring packs in the future if you want.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by dans01classic
A leaf spring is the suspension component you will find in the rear of your XJ. The long springs that run from in front of the rear axle to behind the rear axle in a curved (may be flatt if your susp is ***** out). An add a leaf kit will just introduce one new leaf to be combined with the stock leafs already there to stiffin the stockers back up. A kit with full leaf pack will be all new leaf springs to replace the old ***** out factory ones. I will say that an add a leaf kit is cheaper. A U bolt is just what it says, it two giant bolts that hold the leafs to the rear axle. If you just take a look its pritty self explanitory. A kit will also come with new front coil springs which are tall springs shaped like a coil.

and as for the stablizer, im assuming you are reffering to a steering stabilizer. What this does is just makes steering control a little better due to the changes in ride quality with lifts. Allthough you shouldnt need one if you are only considering a 3 inch lift. Check Rustys Offroad out. They have a good three inch kit. Its what i run + shackles and spacers for a total of about 5"
Originally Posted by NH_Jeep_XJ
You didn't mention what year XJ we are talking about for starters.

The XJ Cherokee has rear leaf springs and in the front it has coil springs.
Leafs are essentially stacks of curved pieces of steel called leaves that are bolted together to form a LEAF Spring pack.
So take a look under the rear of your XJ Jeep Cherokee and you'll see them sitting on top of your axle.

If you notice, they go from longer lengths to shorter ones on the bottom. This is done to distribute the loads based upon the forces. With the longer springs up top being stronger than the shorter leafs below being weaker.

So as you are riding down the road the smaller impacts are absorbed by the shorter leafs and go progressively upwards supporting the vehicle.

The UBolts are what are used to attach the Leaf springs pack to the axle.
You need to buy new ones because you are increasing the size of the spring pack and the old ones are too short.

Steering stabilizer is essentially a shock absorber that dampens vibrations felt in the steering wheel.
A new one is recommended because the old one is at least 10 years old.

As far as a good lift kit within your budget, I am going to make one recommendation, and that is to go with a full length add a leaf (AAL) kit vs the half length AAL many offer at low low prices.

The reason being, the shorter leafs are installed on the bottom and are now expected to boost the entire leaf pack of older leafs pressing down on it. This leads to their eventually sagging. and now you have to buy something else because your back where you started.

So if you are looking for a good 3" lift, Under $500. and
If you aren't off roading it at all then I'd consider a Full Length Add A Leaf.
By either Rusty's or Rough Country.

Rusty's or Rough Country both have a basic Full Length Add A Leaf setup with Shocks for under $500. Allowing you additional funds for a Steering Stabiliser, Transfer Case Drop, and an adjustable Trackbar.

Which you'll need as well with a 3" Lift.
Why, because you are changing the suspension by 3" and it CAN produce dangerous handling characteristics called Wobble.

So these will cost approximately...

$30. for the steering stabilizer
$25. for the TCase drop kit
$170. for the Adjustable Tracbar

$215 approximately on top of the lift kit itself which is about $300. delivered you are right around $500.

I understand that Rough Country is a little better customer service and shipping wise so I might opt for them over Rusty's OffRoad.

Bang for your buck though, the full length AALs can't be beat. The aren't much more than the half leafs but will boost your existing springs until you can go to a bigger lift or full spring packs in the future if you want.
Thank you both for the help! Im starting to get a good idea of what to do here. Each website that sales lift kits also sell a few different parts with it. What would you go with?

Rusys Offroad XJ Cherokee 3" Add-A-Leaf Kit
KIT INCLUDES:
• Front 3" coil springs
• Rear 3" full length add-a-leaf
• Front hydro preformance shocks
• Rear hydro prformance shocks
• Rear brake line extension kit
• Grade 8 U-Bolts

For $265, Then you can add stabilizer and a heavy duty lower axle mount for some extra money.

Fat Bobs Jeep Cherokee XJ 3" Lift Kit w/ Performance 8000 Series Shocks
Kit Includes:
•Front coil springs,

•rear add-a-leaf springs,
•front & rear performance 8000 series shocks,
• front track bar bracket

for $239 then you can add leaf option,stabilizer,and u bolt for some extra money.

Rough Countrys 3" Suspension Kit Entry Level Suspension come with

Front: 3" lifted coil springs.

Rear: Add-a-leaf springs and hardware.

Shocks: Kit includes (4) Hydro 8000 series shocks

There are some upgrades.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

get the rocky road 3 inch lift and some cheap lift shocks....sorry to say it but you WILL have to replace the shocks with a 3 inch lift unless you like hearing them everytime you get in and out of the vehicle....BPE's not worth it. I got my rocky road 3 inch for 180 or so to the door, so good price and in my opinion the highest quality budget boost you can buy. Blocks are good and with my saggy inverted springs i still netted 3 inches and have a completely level jeep......

That should answer all the questions i asked when i was looking for one
Old 10-02-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
get the rocky road 3 inch lift and some cheap lift shocks....sorry to say it but you WILL have to replace the shocks with a 3 inch lift unless you like hearing them everytime you get in and out of the vehicle....BPE's not worth it. I got my rocky road 3 inch for 180 or so to the door, so good price and in my opinion the highest quality budget boost you can buy. Blocks are good and with my saggy inverted springs i still netted 3 inches and have a completely level jeep......

That should answer all the questions i asked when i was looking for one
Sounds good! ill look into that! can you send me a web link? Keep em comeing guys, this is all greatly appreciated! Also post some pics
Old 10-02-2010, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

Sure can.

http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html

Now you will need to buy new U-bolts to go with the blocks, I got mine from autozone because they were a little cheaper in the long run.

If you have any questions about it, ask. Ill be happy to help
Old 10-02-2010, 07:44 PM

Sure can.

Now you will need to buy new U-bolts to go with the blocks, I got mine from autozone because they were a little cheaper in the long run.

Sounds really good! I will more than likely be ordering this one tonight possibly. Do you have any pictures of your jeep? I wanna see how good of a lift it is.

:Edit: They sell the D35 Ubolts. How many do i need? 1 or 2? there 11$ Also, what shocks would you recomend?

Last edited by tmurr11; 10-02-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tmurr11
Sounds really good! I will more than likely be ordering this one tonight possibly. Do you have any pictures of your jeep? I wanna see how good of a lift it is.

:Edit: They sell the D35 Ubolts. How many do i need? 1 or 2? there 11$ Also, what shocks would you recomend?
You will need 4 of the bolts....not sure if they sell them in pairs or not, I bought mine at auto zone. I would just get them from there, they sell generic 2 inch block kits and you can just use the U-bolts from that and toss the cheap aluminum blocks that come with it. Saves you alot of money.

Here is my jeep

the 3" rocky road with 31x10.5R15 Federal Couragia MT's

Before the lift:

After with the same tires:

Lift with the new tires:

Now when it comes to the shocks, cant really help you there. Shock shopping myself at the moment, but from what i've read OME nitrochargers, Bilsteins, and my cousin has some rancho shocks on his 3 inch lift that seem to ride well
Old 10-02-2010, 08:32 PM

You will need 4 of the bolts....not sure if they sell them in pairs or not, I bought mine at auto zone. I would just get them from there, they sell generic 2 inch block kits and you can just use the U-bolts from that and toss the cheap aluminum blocks that come with it. Saves you alot of money.

Here is my jeep

the 3" rocky road with 31x10.5R15 Federal Couragia MT's

Before the lift:

After with the same tires:

Lift with the new tires:

Now when it comes to the shocks, cant really help you there. Shock shopping myself at the moment, but from what i've read OME nitrochargers, Bilsteins, and my cousin has some rancho shocks on his 3 inch lift that seem to ride well
Thats a really good lookin jeep there! Im currently looking at

Nitro 9000 Shock Absorbers there $34.95 a piece
http://www.roughcountry.com/shocks_rc9000.html

Im also thinking of while im down there replaceing the steering stabilizer for $28.95
http://www.roughcountry.com/steering_stabilizers.html

If you have any other suggestions please let me know!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tmurr11
Thats a really good lookin jeep there! Im currently looking at

Nitro 9000 Shock Absorbers there $34.95 a piece
http://www.roughcountry.com/shocks_rc9000.html

Im also thinking of while im down there replaceing the steering stabilizer for $28.95
http://www.roughcountry.com/steering_stabilizers.html

If you have any other suggestions please let me know!
Thanks, been working on her for a year now, and spent every dime i've made on her since i got her (thats why im always broke lol)

I've heard from some people that the rough country shocks ride rough, after my dad gets this OME shocks on his yota i may or may not get the OMEs depending on how it rides.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Ill keep that in mind. Ill make another thread for shocks see what everyone likes out there.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Sure can.

If you do a little bit of searching, you'll see blocks are not the best idea to use. Axle wrap and possible angle issues. You're better off with an AAL, shackle or new leaf packs altogether.

Quick Reply: 1997 jeep cherokee XJ 3inch Lift Questions