Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1997 cherokee sport power draw

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1997 cherokee sport power draw

I looked at my fuse panel and only right side of box has corroded wires and fuses wondering if maybe this is my problem with the constant power draw off my battery. It has a remote starter on it that I can't seem to find any where!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998
Engine: 4.0

The corrosion itself shouldn't cause your issue, but I wouldn't let it go either. It will undoubtedly cause you other issues. You'll need to clean the contacts very well and replace the corroded fuses. At the very least, the resistance in each involved circuit will increase and cause problems with the operation of the things in the circuit. At the worst, the operation of the corroded circuits will cease to operate. If it is too difficult to clean up the box, you'll have to replace it. A junkyard box in good shape will suffice. Out of the four XJs we either had or have, we never had corrosion problems in either fusebox. I'd be curious to know how this occurred.

As to the remote starter, you'll just have to look for something somewhere, most likely somewhere in the engine bay, that doesn't belong normally. It still doesn't necessarily mean that this is the problem, either.

Finding the source of a power drain is often a time consuming job. Electrical issues often are. The best way to do it is to first, make sure the battery is charged completely so any possible issues here are eliminated from the beginning. I had a problem with a battery going dead and found it to be the battery itself in the end. Check this out well first. Next, attach a voltmeter at the battery, keeping the ignition off. I'd use a digital one over an analog because it is easier to read small changes. If you don't have one, Harbor Freight sells inexpensive ones that work ok. Then make note of the reading. Now, circuit by circuit, remove a fuse and see if the reading climbs. When it does by more than a tenth of a volt of so, you have likely found the offending circuit. I'd start with the four relays in the power distribution center on the right inner fender under the hood. Relays stuck closed cause this kind of issue fairly often. If the relays show open, then I'd do the fuses there and move to the fusebox in the vehicle after if you haven't found the culprit in the PDC. It may expedite the process to have a helper if you have to go to the kick panel fusebox. It sucks to have to jump in and out of the car every time you pull a fuse. And yes, replace fuses that test ok before you go to the next.

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 06-27-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Remote starters are usually installed on the drivers side behind the knee bolster. Look for a black box with lots of wires coming from it. Usually zip tied in place. If it was a good install they would have run a power wire to the battery or underhood fuse panel. If they were hacks then they probably ran it to your in car fuse panel. You will have at least three wires connected at the ignition area, starter, power, and accesory I believe. You should have a wire going under the hood to an injector or the ignition coil, also there should be a hood pin switch or a "mercury" switch so the remote starter won't start with the hood up. Should also be a wire going to the break switch above the pedal. And a wire going to the parking lights. The antenna is usually installed on the windshield, follow that wire to the remote starter box. Just removed my remote starter from my
96 and installed to my 99.

Sent from my DROIDX using Cherokee Forum