Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 XJ - Engine Temp / Possible Noisy Rear Gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 XJ - Engine Temp / Possible Noisy Rear Gears

Hello!

Well, I have an awesome 1996 XJ (2 door) with 170k miles, 6 inch lift and 33s on it... The vehicle has had a lot of upgrades and I am about to daily drive it. I am working two issues that I could use some input on....

1) Engine Temp seems to slowly climb, never to a point of overheating, but no too far from it. The temp only rises when I am on the highway (at speeds of 60-70mph) for extended period of time. The clutch, fan, hoses, etc. have all been replaced. The only thing that has not been replaced is the radiator. I was told to put a crown radiator in it. How can I check to see if it is the radiator or possibly the oil pump? Any thoughts before I buy a radiator and put it in.. I would hate to do that only to still have the issue.

2) Rear Diff / Gears. There is the sound of road noise, similar to the sound of tires.. I have put brand new BFG KO2s on it... Still has a sound coming from the rear of the vehicle, again sounding like road noise, that I believe is coming from the rear diff. Doesn't sound like "gear noise".. Any thoughts on what this may be.. I know if is hard to diagnosis from a post, just looking for thoughts.. Is there a diff fluid I can put in to quiet it down a bit? Again not super bad, just annoying.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-13-2016, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

1) Have you tried a radiator pressure tester to see if you have a leak, either internally or externally? and
2) Is the noise a whirring kind of noise? Locker or not? Does it kind of clunk when you accel/decel?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
1) Have you tried a radiator pressure tester to see if you have a leak, either internally or externally? and
2) Is the noise a whirring kind of noise? Locker or not? Does it kind of clunk when you accel/decel?
In have not performed that test, would I see a loss of fluid if I had a leak either internally or xternally?

I would say there is no clunk at all. Seems to be a whirl noise, similar to some really worn off road tires. Interestingly, the sound level drops slightly when I let off of the throttlle.

Thanks for your help!