Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 jeep grand cherokee door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 06:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default 1996 jeep grand cherokee door lock issue

hello everyone

since my last jeep is taking a dirt nap and i just got this new jeep i have some things to do to it. i am not mechanically inclined like a lot here but i currently and hopefully tomorrow will finish with the other shocks, rotors, pads, oil change, and radiator flush. all things i had already replaced on my other jeep. but hey at least the ac is working not that the parts are nice and shiny and new like mine but at least its all in working order.

with that said

there is an issue with the door locks. you can not unlock or lock them with the controls (except for the rear hatch which locks and unlocks just fine). it definitely sounds like it wants too, i mean when you click it you hear the noise like i did in my old jeep. when you hit the 15-20mph it sounds as if they lock on their own. but they don't.

so i am not sure what the issue is. obviously the unit is getting power becasue it sounds like its working but its not. i would be hard to believe all four doors have the exact same hardware issue but i am not sure.

where would i begin to even resolve this?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1984
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 cyl

check the relays first, as if they are shot it won't delivery enough juice to pop the actuators. If those are fine and you are getting full power, then I'd suspect the actuators are worn and need to be replaced.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok thanks for the reply but..

please respond as if I am completely clueless on stuff. If its possible can you post pictures and or a link and how do you check the relays? Whats the process of doing so? The actuators that your speaking about popping. Is that what I hear when I press the door lock and unlock and when the vehicle gets to 15mpg? If so I hear that every time but nothing actually happens.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:24 PM
Seasoned Member

ok I guess I should have responded as such.

How is the proper way to test the relays? Where are they and what am I looking for?

How can I tell them if they are providing enough power to pop the actuators?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Ok, can you let me know how to go about doing this? I've checked google and I'm more confused after checking than before.

Anything electrical in vehicles bothers me and trying to resolve this issue would require the vehicle to still be connected to the battery. Last time I did work like that with a hooked up batter (trying to take out windshield wiper motors from under the dash) i killed my nova (may she rest in peace).

I seen talks about checking the wires and testing them for power and such but i don't know how to test for anything. How can you test wires when they are inside the insulation. If its completely cut through i can see but i've not noticed that.

thanks

ryan