Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 Cherokee violent shaking on highway?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 Cherokee violent shaking on highway?!?!

Ok so this started in July. I had taken the jeep out into a dirt area for the first time on 7 year old all terrain tires. I ended up bending my drag link but I didn't care because I was planning on replacing the steering components. I didn't take the car above 40 MPH after I bent the DL. I replaced all tie rod ends,drag link,steering stabilizer,and the track bar with ACDelco parts from Rockauto,and got it aligned. The first time I got it up to 55 mph the whole car shook violently in the steering wheel and in the seat so to speak. I went and got all 4 tires balanced which did next to nothing. I swapped wheels around with my full size spare and there were changes in the speed in which it would occur. It would be in the 45-55 mph area,but it'd go away if I went above or below this zone which made me think tire balance still,so I got them balanced at a different place,and there was no change.

I moved onto control arm bushings. I found one of the CAs was loose so I bought polyurethane bushings for both the lower and upper arms. I installed all of them and torqued them to spec. After this the shaking and wobbling now occurs around 68,72,78,and 83 MPH. I also have a swaying motion at the highway speeds where it feels like the whole axle is shifting side to side slowly. This issue was there before I did the steering parts replacement.

I'm kind of at rock bottom right now cause I checked ball joints and there's no play in them. The only thing I can think of now is maybe the tires. Maybe I damaged them taking them off road. They are about 7 years old and they're BFG all terrain tires.

This jeep is 4WD,basically stock and has no lift. I'd appreciate some input on this cause I'm sick thinking this over in my head and not having enough money to replace everything I want.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:20 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Take a look at the trac bar. There should be no play at all. Start here
Old 11-09-2016, 11:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by NewbJeep
This is a very very long stretch and I don't even think it would be possible to cause your issue but...

Under the drivers side at the brake pedal is a brake light switch. It's white and sort if hard to see but it controls your torque converter. Just wiggle and pop that switch in and out and make sure it's not stuck.

It happened to me on. 2 jeeps and if it sticks it usually only shake/shudder right near 45 mph because that's when the torque converter engages.

Your sounds more like suspension than that but it's free to check.

Also you can unplug your transmission control unit (TCU) and shift manually and see if it still shakes. That's how I ruled out my shake as suspension related. If you unplug your TCU and it stops then it's not your suspension stuff.

To unplug TCU you can reach under passenger side dash and unplug the big connector into the big box or take a few of the lower dash screws out and reach in and unplug it. You can't miss it.

Again, it's a long shot.

Edit: in case you do miss it and can't find a picture any where online of the TCU or brake light switch I'll see if I can dig some up from an older thread.

Last edited by Chick-N-Picker; 11-09-2016 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

Originally Posted by NewbJeep
This is correct. I'm sure their is play in the front end somewhere. Trac bar is the most common. Also steering box being loose or worn.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

i had a cracked frame at the steering box on my 98,very loose steering.

had bad belts in tires on a minivan. it would wiggle at different speeds,left/right, made my dizzy.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
i had a cracked frame at the steering box on my 98,very loose steering.

had bad belts in tires on a minivan. it would wiggle at different speeds,left/right, made my dizzy.
I'm hoping this is it sense I took the really old tires off road for the first time in 8-10 years. Hopefully they just weren't able to take the abuse being so old. I already checked the frame around the steering box and the bolts and they look fine. I replace the track bar and properly torqued it,so I doubt it's that. I even torqued again a month after installing it and it was fine.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:55 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

At those speeds it is likely tires or wheels. A tire with a broken belt will balance just fine but will be out of round, same with a bent rim.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
At those speeds it is likely tires or wheels. A tire with a broken belt will balance just fine but will be out of round, same with a bent rim.
I bet it's my tires then. Thanks for the input guys!