Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 Cherokee Sport Hood won't open

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1996 Cherokee Sport Hood won't open

I've tried to find any info that would help me with this before posting but struck out. Can anyone post a pic or diagram of the hood latches? I had my Jeep parked about 20 months, the battery is dead and I can't get the hood open to jump it. I think the cable is broken but it's acting different than I've seen before, the handle is stuck open. and I broke out a piece of trim to get to the center of the hood which didn't help me at all. I've been told there are latches at the sides not the middle it's just been so long I can't remember.
Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry this is so long winded I don't post like this often at all.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

GOOGLE, man, Google:

http://www.google.com/

Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try pounding on each corner of the hood.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by troy fritz
Try pounding on each corner of the hood.
And spray PB with one of those skinny nozzles right under the middle and sides. Sometimes the cable/latch seizes up

You might experience belt noises ( squealing and such) after because the PB doesn't like them.

If you get it open PB and lubricate the cable sleeve and all the latch areas. Its well worth it!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:17 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Blood Of An Akrobat

If you get it open PB and lubricate the cable sleeve and all the latch areas. Its well worth it!
+1... I did that to mine and every time I open it, it just feels so much easier.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Did you try "open sesame"?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 AM

In reverse order:
00exjay No but I can't repeat what I was yelling at it while trying to open it.
Akrobat and Gauge I plan to once I get it open but I can't get to anything yet.
Troy what I did was jump up and down on the hood after pounding didn't work. Didn't help but it didn't get pushed down further either (I did check after to make sure I hadn't screwed myself).
Turbo that's what I needed thanks. With that I should be able to drill small holes and get PB or something sprayed on them.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

If the latch cable broke there is a way to get it open by removing the drivers side head light assembly. I have read it on here a few times. I never had to do it myself. But if you do a search on here you may find the post about it.
God Luck
Old 12-08-2012, 10:25 AM

no need to drill any holes, i had this same issue. if you remove all of your lights and grill (basically get everything down to the bare fiberglass front clip) there will be two 12(i think)mm bolts, one pointing front to back and one top to bottom on each side. remove these bolts and this will allow you to gently open the hood from each side. from that point it will be much easier to diagnose the issue. mine ended up being that the cable itself was still intact, but the sleeve was frayed and messed up so the cable had no restriction and would not properly tense up when the latch was pulled.

now that the cable is replaced i put everything back together and PB blasted the whole thing and it works like a champ
Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks guys. That's exactly the kid of tip I was looking for. I can't do anything on it today but that's the next thing I'll try.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:52 PM

any progress?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 PM

http://comancheclub.com/topic/829-wh...-cable-breaks/

Originally Posted by Pete M www.ComancheClub.com

I'm sure most of you have already seen this little truck, but I want to make sure it's officially posted up. The best thing to do is lube all the associated mechanisms on a regular basis (like with oil changes).

It happens all too often. An MJ/XJ owner reaches down to pop the hood and the latch release handle comes off in their hand. If it happens to you, don't fret, it's not as bad as it might seem. Crawl under the front of your Jeep and see if you can reach up past the radiator (this can be next-to-impossible for owners with the aux fan or front steel guard). Now feel around and tug on the skinny little bar that connects the two corner latches. It's waaaaay up at the top. Sometimes this works, but usually it only pops the passenger side. See, the bar pulls on the pass side, but PUSHES on the drivers side. If it doesn't pop open, remove the headlight and headlight bucket. You'll see this bolt:

It is one of two bolts that hold the bracket that the hood latch, um, latches to. There's two of them though. The second can be seen here above the first:

I dismantled most of my front end before I discovered these two little gems, hopefully you won't have to. It's a tight fit, but it's been proven that a ratchet can get at both. Then the whole assembly pops up with the hood. Now open the hood, free the bottom half, and reattach it to the Jeep. Replacing the cable is pretty straight forward.
Jeep on!
--Pete
Rob
Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Sorry my health and a hard cold rain all day kept me from working on it at all yesterday and it looks like I'm not getting anything done on it today either.
And thanks Automan that's going to save me a lot of work.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

you could just reach up from the bottom and pull each rod towards to opposite side, same thing happened on my 98 well the cable broke, got underneath, look up between the radiator and engine, you will just barely feel the rods, pull one the opposite from where its going, pop, wedge something on that side so it doesn't latch again, do the same on the other side, pop, hood is released, or you have a friend hold each side up when you get it poped, very simple
Old 12-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98

note to self: service hood latch so you never have to disassemble the entire grill

Quick Reply: 1996 Cherokee Sport Hood won't open