Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 Cherokee front end jack points?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 Cherokee front end jack points?

I've got a 1996 Cherokee that I need to jack the front end up on. My jack only goes to 14 5/8" and there's very few places on the jeep that are low enough. Two places I saw were the lower control arm mounts on the axle and the other one is the differential. I'm just not sure about the lower control arm mounts though cause that metal looks thin and I don't want to bend it. The differential comes with its own issues too. I don't know whether the housing is made of aluminum or not,and I know I can't lift the car there if it is. The second issue with that is its not centered under the car like a rear axle. What are your suggestions to overcome this?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, buy a jack.

Yes, you can use the LCA mounts.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
Yeah, buy a jack.

Yes, you can use the LCA mounts.
I've already got the jack. Would you recommend putting like an inch or two of wood between the jack and the LCA mounts?
Old 07-23-2016, 05:50 PM
Banned

I wasn't being smart with you, you need a taller jack.

You have a jack for a car, not a Jeep.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:20 PM

I wasn't being smart with you, you need a taller jack.

You have a jack for a car, not a Jeep.
It's about 8 1/2" from ground to LCA mounts for my jeep. That leaves 5 1/2" for the jack to lift it up. If I put wood on top of the jack and under it,I should be good. I just need to use some thick wood or even some metal if I can find some lying around.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I often jack from the frame behind the front wheel. This leaves the front axle hanging.

Never use cinder blocks!!! If blocks are an issue, Home Depot, (maybe Lows), will cut an 8' 2x6 into eight pieces free, for under the jack.

Unsteady stuff here. Whenever I can get it up I like to slide my ramps under something solid, (Lca mounts or frame), some x2 or 1" blocks there.

Chuck the rears, set the brake and shove it around a bit before going under...

Curious what you are doing. Just jacking up a Jeep isn't much fun.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I often jack from the frame behind the front wheel. This leaves the front axle hanging.

Never use cinder blocks!!! If blocks are an issue, Home Depot, (maybe Lows), will cut an 8' 2x6 into eight pieces free, for under the jack.

Unsteady stuff here. Whenever I can get it up I like to slide my ramps under something solid, (Lca mounts or frame), some x2 or 1" blocks there.

Chuck the rears, set the brake and shove it around a bit before going under...

Curious what you are doing. Just jacking up a Jeep isn't much fun.
I'll be replacing tie rod ends,drag link,track bar,and steering stabilizer. Everybody recommended I jack it up to make the work easier.

I'm a bit confused by your second paragraph. I don't understand how you'd put ramps under the LCA mounts or frame. I apologize for not being the brightest bulb in the pack lol.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Any ramp has a level place for the wheel. If you put a 4x6 or other blocks there you end up with a support much more stable on uneven ground than using jack stands. I just point the ramp part away from where I want to work.

Maybe go take a good look at it. IIrc I've done a bit without needing to jack it up. Tie rod and Pittman arm at least.

I'm sure others know better. No squishing yourself.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:49 AM
Banned

I have one of these.....very similar to this pic......

I also have a Craftsman floor jack with 20"+ of lift.
I also have a motorcycle jack for lifting axles into place.......works pretty well.

You'll need a better jack and jack stands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's your life, literally.

Spend the $200 on a good truck jack and some stands, your life depends on it.

Last edited by Jeep Driver; 07-24-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 AM

I have one of these.....very similar to this pic......

I also have a Craftsman floor jack with 20"+ of lift.
I also have a motorcycle jack for lifting axles into place.......works pretty well.

You'll need a better jack and jack stands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's your life, literally.

Spend the $200 on a good truck jack and some stands, your life depends on it.
I'll see if I could rent one maybe. The Advanced Auto by my should let me. I'll definitely be getting a new jack soon,but I literally don't have the money.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Any ramp has a level place for the wheel. If you put a 4x6 or other blocks there you end up with a support much more stable on uneven ground than using jack stands. I just point the ramp part away from where I want to work.

Maybe go take a good look at it. IIrc I've done a bit without needing to jack it up. Tie rod and Pittman arm at least.

I'm sure others know better. No squishing yourself.
I guess I'll see how it goes. If it's just too sketchy I'll leave it on the ground.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by ZacharyA7X
but I literally don't have the money.
What's the cost if you end up in the hospital?
Old 07-24-2016, 12:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't mess around with anything supporting the vehicle other than the right tools. Good Jack stands. A decent Jack with plenty of lift. It's probably not the last time you'll need to pick that thing up so invest in it now. Do not use cinderblocks, wood or any other material that "seems" like it will work.

I've seen sketchy lifts fail. Luckily, no one was injured. Do not put your life on the line to save a few bucks.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

There is a lot of room for ingenuity when working on a Jeep, coming up with interesting ways to tackle a situation when you don't have exactly the right, or best, tool.

However, jacking a vehicle up is NOT one of those areas. Get the right tools for the job.

When I was first starting out, I thought I could get away with this/that when trying to get one of my cars off the ground. Got to watch the rear of my accord come down off the jack because of my nonsense (about 20" drop). Luckily the wheels were still on, and of course, I was not under it (I never go under with just the jack supporting). Also the intense forces shot my makeshift jack extension all over the garage. It would have destroyed whatever it hit (luckily it didn't hit anything, or me).
Old 07-24-2016, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I'm just going to reiterate what the guys have been saying... DO NOT HALF-*** THIS! Always be cautious when raising a vehicle. It only takes a split second for them to fall or roll off a jack or stands. Be aware of the surface you're working on as well. Black top gets soft in the summer when it's hot. Jack stands will sink. Put a piece of sheet metal under them to prevent this. And please get the proper jack to lift your jeep and some good stands. Never work on a vehicle supported by just a jack. Happy Jeepin!

Quick Reply: 1996 Cherokee front end jack points?