Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 2dr 2.5 mysterious red wire in front of fuse box....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 1996 2dr 2.5 mysterious red wire in front of fuse box....

I've looked on here and Google searched buy for the life of me I can't find what this wire goes to? I seen it hooked up on a 95 and mine was cut so naturally I butt spliced it back together but I have not seen it do anything different. Do any of y'all know what it goes to? Does it need to be hooked up?
thanks.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:02 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Looks like something a previous owner did at some point. Do you have an alarm or anything aftermarket installed?
Old 11-30-2018, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I have a 96 that was almost entirely stock when I bought it, and I have the same wire. I also have tried to run it down before, and did not identify what it was powering. My Jeep had no custom items, no security system, and original factory stereo.

I have an official 96 FSM, as well as the owner's manual. I'll see if it mentions the position (when able).
Old 11-30-2018, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by kbeam418
Looks like something a previous owner did at some point. Do you have an alarm or anything aftermarket installed?
I don't have any after market stuff, I just got this jeep so really trying to figure everything about it. I was just wondering if it was a factory wire like I said I seen a 95 at salvage yard with it. Thanks jordan96xj I appreciate you looking into it when you have a chance.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Victor Rios
I don't have any after market stuff, I just got this jeep so really trying to figure everything about it. I was just wondering if it was a factory wire like I said I seen a 95 at salvage yard with it. Thanks jordan96xj I appreciate you looking into it when you have a chance.
Ok, I checked into it using the FSM. I did my best, and it wasn't as straight forward as you would think (had to fish through a few wiring diagrams to get to it). So there is some possibility that I am incorrect. But I believe position 16 on our fuse block is the output from a built-in 30 amp circuit breaker. These are commonly used for seat adjustment motors (which would pop fuses to often when hit their max positions, so they use a self-resetting circuit breaker instead). The circuit breaker is fed from fuse 4 (40amp) in the power distribution center (PDC, engine compartment). The red wire is the power lead from the circuit breaker residing in the fuse block that would be used by the left (driver) seat switch. If I am correct, that red wire probably routes down behind the left trim panel and under the carpet so that it is available under the seat some where, for those models that have a seat adjustment switch/motor. For those without, there is probably an unused connector under the seat somewhere, or the wire is simply terminated under the carpet.

I think that is the best I can do without physically tearing into it to fact check myself.

The following users liked this post:
XJnoob2023 (09-05-2023)
Old 11-30-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Ok, I checked into it using the FSM. I did my best, and it wasn't as straight forward as you would think (had to fish through a few wiring diagrams to get to it). So there is some possibility that I am incorrect. But I believe position 16 on our fuse block is the output from a built-in 30 amp circuit breaker. These are commonly used for seat adjustment motors (which would pop fuses to often when hit their max positions, so they use a self-resetting circuit breaker instead). The circuit breaker is fed from fuse 4 (40amp) in the power distribution center (PDC, engine compartment). The red wire is the power lead from the circuit breaker residing in the fuse block that would be used by the left (driver) seat switch. If I am correct, that red wire probably routes down behind the left trim panel and under the carpet so that it is available under the seat some where, for those models that have a seat adjustment switch/motor. For those without, there is probably an unused connector under the seat somewhere, or the wire is simply terminated under the carpet.

I think that is the best I can do without physically tearing into it to fact check myself.
Huh that's interesting, it's funny to me that they install it like that but hey it works!
Old 11-30-2018, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

It would help to explain why it is such a large gauge wire. Which was the first thing I noticed when I saw it, which of course made me think even more that it was a home-made modification. But when I noticed that the wire seemed to have a factory style connection to the fuse block (although it looks just jammed in), it made me think there must be more to it, and that perhaps it was a factory thing (though not very pretty).
Old 11-30-2018, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
It would help to explain why it is such a large gauge wire. Which was the first thing I noticed when I saw it, which of course made me think even more that it was a home-made modification. But when I noticed that the wire seemed to have a factory style connection to the fuse block (although it looks just jammed in), it made me think there must be more to it, and that perhaps it was a factory thing (though not very pretty).
great research! Sound legit. I will just eliminate it again. So it won't short out in case of moisture or wire becoming staffed. Thank you.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

My 95 also has that wire. It does look odd...
​​​​​​​Thanks for the info Jordan!