Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1995 XJ Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1995 XJ Steering

Hello,

I have a 1995 XJ all stock approximately 155,000miles. The steering seems to be real loose and dont return to center when going around a turn. Kinda squirrelly. I replaced the steering box. no help, replaced the steering stablilizer no help.

I want this to be my daughters 1st car but with the steering this way im affraid of her getting into an accident.

I did the test jacking up each tire about 1″ off the ground then shaking tire side to side just alittle movement (not alot just alittle). Up and down no movement at all. This was the same on both front tires.

Please help
Old 03-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Robert Hurst
Hello,

I have a 1995 XJ all stock approximately 155,000miles. The steering seems to be real loose and dont return to center when going around a turn. Kinda squirrelly. I replaced the steering box. no help, replaced the steering stablilizer no help.

I want this to be my daughters 1st car but with the steering this way im affraid of her getting into an accident.

I did the test jacking up each tire about 1″ off the ground then shaking tire side to side just alittle movement (not alot just alittle). Up and down no movement at all. This was the same on both front tires.

Please help
In my experience, having some one turn slightly left to right and watching each tie rod end individually is the easiest way to see worn parts.

They don't need to turn lock to lock, actually shaking the wheel left to right is best.

You also need to look at the track bar ends, it has alot of effect on what feels like a steering issue and will cause what you're referring to as your problem with it not returning to center.

I recently purchased a '91 with similar problems, vehicle did not stay centered at all what so ever, I replaced the while steering system and track bar.
Every thing orange is new.

Using Rock auto, I have less than $200 in the project.

If you need more in depth help, just let me know.

Last edited by Constantine; 03-07-2016 at 06:21 PM.