Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1995 Jeep XJ- No power to fuel pump, vacuum issues, and blowby problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1995 Jeep XJ- No power to fuel pump, vacuum issues, and blowby problems

Hello All,
Ok I just bought a 1995 Jeep XJ 2 door 4.0 auto 4WD for
$180 might should have left where it was. The XJ ran but poorly and the fuel pump was hooked to a toggle switch. So I did a compression test and found I didnt have compression on cylinders 3 and 4. Discovered I had a blown head gasket long story short fixed the head gasket have compression. Turn on the toggle and the jeep runs a hundred times better.

#1---But I hate haveing the toggle switch. So I started looking into it and pulled out the switch and hooked the green/red wire back up that was cut for the switch. But I get no power to the fuel pump. Tested the relays they seem good and so do the fuses. I tried to jump the relay still nothing.

#2---Im also looking for a vacuum diagram for the 1995 XJ being most of the vacuum lines or dry rotted, crack, broken, plugged or missing.

#3--- Also I didnt notice before the head gasket replacement probably because of the poor running condition. I have smoke coming out of the oil dipstick and the rear air line on the valve cover. Now I pulled the elbow out and saw it was clogged. So I cleaned it out and put it back in and I still have smoke coming out of both places. Next step is to remove the cover and clean it out because of trash I saw when the elbow was out and try it again.

So any help and information on any of these problems would be greatly apreciated. Thanks
Old 10-29-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Well I believe I have fixed the blowby problem. Found that a vacuum line had a crack in it coming from the rear of the valve cove to the intake. But still have lots of vacuum leaks crack and plughed off lines. And no luck with the fuel pump running without the toggle switch sending direct power to it