Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1995 jeep cherokee se (gas leak!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output
Default 1995 jeep cherokee se (gas leak!!!)

Hi, I just had my 1995 Jeep Cherokee SE, 5 SPD Manual, 2WD, shipped from CA to RI. It hasn't been started in three years, so I had to jump-start it. I got out and did a quick walk around to see if all the lights, turn signals, and everything was working properly, and I noticed that Gasoline was gushing and spraying somewhere around the rear axle, more toward the rear driver side wheel. Yes, it does have the 4.0 Litre Inline 6 Cylinder Engine, I checked the Oil and it was in the safe line, but the oil light came on in accessory mode. I'm not sure if all the other lights go off and the oil light stays on, I haven't seen it in a very long time so that kind of threw me off a bit. And no, the oil is not milky. It is the color a Jeep Cherokee's oil should be, brown. It does have 242,000 miles so I was thinking maybe one of the sensors may have gone gaga but who knows. The Coolant is VERY low, The power steering fluid is topped off, the oil is at the safe mark, the brake fluid is good, I mean pretty much all the fluids are topped off and at their safe marks. I think the only container that is empty is the Windshield Washer Fluid. Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

First things first, find that gas leak! Looks like it might be coming from somewhere around the fuel filter.

Also about the oil gauge, I hope you changed the oil/filter before you started it! I mean it had been sitting for 3 years. You don't want to be using that old of oil. And if you haven't changed it yet, do that before doing anything else. Use a filter that isn't a Fram (Wix seems to be the preferred and recommended brand for these Jeep Cherokees). So start with a simple oil change and go from there.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Seasoned Member

I will go tomorrow and find the gas leak, many people have said that, but they have also told me it could be the gas line. No I didn't, unfortunately I did not get the chance to change the oil filter and everything because management told me they were going to tow it unless I moved it. So it HAD to be started so I could move it, Next pay period I am going to have an oil change and everything done that has to be done.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Good deal. The gas line could definitely be suspect. My guess would be the ends of the lines, where they connect to the fuel filter, have deteriorated, causing the leak.

And you really want to try and drive it as very little as possible (ideally not at all) until you can afford to do an oil and oil filter change.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Yeah definitely! I'm fifteen and I just bought this from my Mom, (It was her's before mine for twelve years) I think gas lines for these Jeeps run $20 or $50 dollars. Atleast that's what Autozone & O'Riley's told me. I'm not going to be driving it at all, the only time it was driven was for not even five minutes so I could move it out of the parking space. (I'm the only fifteen year old In my family that can move a stick without jumping it!!! YEAHHH!) I will keep it off and push it until I can get those changed lol!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 AM
CF Veteran

Good deal! Congrats on your first car (at least I assume it's your first at 15 haha). But yeah, get under there and find out for sure where it is leaking fuel! Hell, you may even be able to get away with disconnecting the line at the fuel filter and just cutting off an inch or so of the fuel line and reattaching it (that is, if the line has enough slack and is in good enough shape to salvage). But yeah, gas lines aren't too expensive so you'll be okay. We'll help you get your car up and running like it's supposed to
Old 03-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks!! And yeah Im happy it's my first truck, I love the two door model. I'm gonna do that first thing in the morning to find out whats up. Thank GOD Fuel Lines are cheap because my Mother had a Malibu and it costed her nearly $900. Thanks because I really do appreciate all the help!!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

No problem at all! Make sure to report back once you track down the leak, change the oil, and change the oil filter (once again, make sure it's not a Fram!)
Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks!! And I will, I'll post Update Messages on my Profile Page or on this thread. I should have an answer by tomorrow!!! I will get a Wix filter don't worry! I know Fram's are not good for them, way ahead'a ya!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:46 AM
CF Veteran

Just makin' sure! Just hate hearing about how people want to save a couple bucks and end up ruining their engine. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Seasoned Member

I've also got pictures of it on my Profile page! If you'd like to see her more up close. Yes I know she needs tires....They were brand new when we left, how the **** did they get bald when nobody drove it?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Thank ya!! Appreciate all your help through my little disaster! People were running away from it, and I was just like...Oh its just a tiny gas leak I'll just push her on outta here!! XD
Old 03-16-2012, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
No problem at all! Make sure to report back once you track down the leak, change the oil, and change the oil filter (once again, make sure it's not a Fram!)
X2. I think 1996sportXJ is probably right about the fuel lines. Between the tank and the filter they are just rubber lines and they tend to weather and crack, especially where they slip over the flanges. You can pick up bulk hose (by the foot) at most parts stores. Replacing all of them from the filter back shouldn't cost more than $5-$10. Wear clothes you don't care about and don't plan any hot dates for the next couple days after you fix the leak, you're gonna wreak of gas

Actually, now that you are a Jeep owner, probably best to date girls who don't mind that smell.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Seasoned Member

LOL!!! I figured that! Haha believe me I'm not planning any dates, anytime soon!! I wanna get this thing up and running for Drivers Education. My Jeep right now has my COMPLETE ATTENTION. xD
Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by F1Addict
X2. I think 1996sportXJ is probably right about the fuel lines. Between the tank and the filter they are just rubber lines and they tend to weather and crack, especially where they slip over the flanges. You can pick up bulk hose (by the foot) at most parts stores. Replacing all of them from the filter back shouldn't cost more than $5-$10. Wear clothes you don't care about and don't plan any hot dates for the next couple days after you fix the leak, you're gonna wreak of gas

Actually, now that you are a Jeep owner, probably best to date girls who don't mind that smell.
Hahaha. You, sir, are a smart, smart man.

Quick Reply: 1995 jeep cherokee se (gas leak!!!)