Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Overheating Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1995 Jeep Cherokee Overheating Problems

Hi all
My husband bought a 95 jeep Cherokee 4.0L 6cyl about 2 months ago from a young guy that wanted to get rid of it because it had overheating problems and he said it had a cracked head. We paid $800.00 for it and have spent another $1000 on it. Just on the cooling system.
We drove the car home - only about 2km and it got hot. Very hot.
When we got it home we started taking out the head, radiator, waterpump, thermostat. Got all brand new radiator (copper), waterpump, thermostat, had the head done and bought new seals, gaskets etc. Also did the rear diff as that was growling very badly. Put it all back together, drove for 2 days and same problem, still overheating. Never into the red though. Stop just before the red. So bought new thermostat, still same problem, took thermostat out, still same problem, new radiator cap, still same problem. Radiator has good flow. It gets hot when put under load, so when driving. Idling is ok. The top radiator hose gets really hot and has lots of pressure in it. Took head off again to see if there was a crack in it that we might have missed before, but cannot see anything. No water in oil or vice versa. Took the head back in to get pressure tested again, but they said there is nothing wrong with it.
Checked the block but cannot see any cracks either. So what would make it build up pressure? I would assume only exhaust could do that?
Has anyone had this problem before?
Would really appreciate your feedback or advise. Thanks
Bianca
Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Test the mechanical fan, should be much harder to spin my hand when the engine is hot (with the engine off) then when the motor is cold. Could always swap to an electrical fan

Also test the aux fan, it should come on around 210 degrees and run till under 200 i believe.