Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1993 XJ Rusted Rockers and Doors (bumper)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1993 XJ Rusted Rockers and Doors (bumper)

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the noob questions and the simplicity I’m requesting, I have not worked on vehicles in the past and am learning. I appreciate any help.

I just purchased a 1993 Cherokee that has some rust issues at the bottom of the front doors (under the decorative molding) and the rocker panels are shot.

I am mostly concerned with fixing the rust, rather than "looks"but I don’t want it to look like the face of a teenager going through puberty when i'm done either.

So after reading, searching, reading some more than searching even moreafter that, i have come to the conclusion that:

1) To fix the rockers, i should buy them from C2C on rockauto, for $20 aside?

2) It looks like the backs are fine, but after grinding the current canceroff them, that may change. But the hammer says they are solid right now. (iripped off the old, rusted out rocker fronts) I'm not excited about spending$90 a side for the inner rocker, if i need it. Are there any other options, if I’mnot educated on "fabricating new ones"? Does someone else make lessexpensive ones? The sills are good still.

3) It sounds like these rocker panels are designed to fit over the oldrusted ones? Is this true? Why would someone leave the cancer there and simplycover it up? What should I expect, since i dont have the fronts "tocover" these new ones with? Will i need to rig up something? what?

The Doors:

The outer skin is completely rusted through, but only under the molding(4"- 6"inches wide and the length of the door)

From what i have found, my options are to grind of all the rust, fiber glassand fill the door and bondo it back to shape....OR, cut it out and replace itwith a skin, weld the skin on, grind the welds down, putty the shat out of it,and paint it...OR buy a door from a yard for $150 and replace the whole darnthing.

I found skins for $52 bucks, but theni have to find a friend that has a welder and can weld, etc..

What would you guys suggest?

I don’t have a lot of money, but i do have time. I don’t mind learning. Andi catch on pretty quick, as long as i have someone that knows what they aredoing explaining it to me.

The section behind the rear wheels is also rusted under the molding. isthere a "small skin" for that section, or do they only sell entirefenders when this rusts out? What would they call these?

Is $150 per door a fair price if i decide to buy them from a yard? I see theyards also sell just the inner panels, the glass, etc... Would it beunreasonable to offer them 1/2 the price and tell them they can pull all theother saleable items off the door?

Sorry for all the questions, but i want to get as much info as i can, or atleast get pointed in the right direction with some of these issues.

Cheers!

Oh, one last thing, I have a few very small rust spots onthe chrome rear bumper, Do I need togrind/strip off all of the chrome on the bumper, if I plan to grind the rustoff and paint the whole bumper, or can I just paint right over the chrome andexpect it not to flake off with the chrome?