Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1993 XJ Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default 1993 XJ Electrical Problems

well i took my doors off in the middle of the winter because we had a warm day and drove to the junk yard to buy parts. i havent had any electrical problems since ive owned this jeep; but when i got out of the junkyard (approx. 1hr) i got into the jeep and it wouldnt start. i got out, disconnected the battery, then re-connected it and it worked. the jeep started up and i began driving home.
on my way home, i noticed my tachometer needle bouncing all over the place. my engine rpm's were fine, normal, and consistant (by the sound/feel of it) but the tach showed spikes up to even 5000rpm. also, my fuel gauge was in a place inconsistent with the amount of gas i really had. i just put gas in because i was on E and it went up to ~1/4 tank previous to going to the junkyard. now, it was showing i had approx. half a tank.
from the junkyard i went to my boss' house to use his welder for an unrelated thing. and when my jeep was in the way of a tractor i tried to move it and it wouldnt start. all of the lights turn on and work (got battery tested 2 days ago, it was good) but when i go to start, just a click and nothing happens. also, the fuel gauge pinned all the way past full and stayed there. the click is remeniscent of a bad starter solonoid, but what about the spike in rpm's on the tach and the fuel gauge? all of these things occured at the same time so i believe they are related electrically. any input is helpful. thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meech93XJ
well i took my doors off in the middle of the winter because we had a warm day and drove to the junk yard to buy parts. i havent had any electrical problems since ive owned this jeep; but when i got out of the junkyard (approx. 1hr) i got into the jeep and it wouldnt start. i got out, disconnected the battery, then re-connected it and it worked. the jeep started up and i began driving home.
on my way home, i noticed my tachometer needle bouncing all over the place. my engine rpm's were fine, normal, and consistant (by the sound/feel of it) but the tach showed spikes up to even 5000rpm. also, my fuel gauge was in a place inconsistent with the amount of gas i really had. i just put gas in because i was on E and it went up to ~1/4 tank previous to going to the junkyard. now, it was showing i had approx. half a tank.
from the junkyard i went to my boss' house to use his welder for an unrelated thing. and when my jeep was in the way of a tractor i tried to move it and it wouldnt start. all of the lights turn on and work (got battery tested 2 days ago, it was good) but when i go to start, just a click and nothing happens. also, the fuel gauge pinned all the way past full and stayed there. the click is remeniscent of a bad starter solonoid, but what about the spike in rpm's on the tach and the fuel gauge? all of these things occured at the same time so i believe they are related electrically. any input is helpful. thanks
Anyone? Hello?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Sounds to me like bad conections at the battery.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by odgreen89on35s
Sounds to me like bad conections at the battery.
The terminals are clean and greased with dielectric grease. The negative has a ground that goes directly to the body. The small cable connects to the battery by being squeezed between the negative terminal and the connected and tightened down. All seems well and in good condition there