Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1991 cherokee 4x4 problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1991 cherokee 4x4 problem

Okay I got a 91 Cherokee inline 6 has the 4x4 lever on the center console well the 4x4 ain't engaging, I also do not see a 4x4 light on the dash which someone else told me it SHOULD have so I was wondering is there anything electrical or vacuum I should check before I start tearing into the 4x4 system does 4x4 use fuses or relays to run it any help would be appreciated
Old 12-16-2010, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

climb underneath start looking around fc for unplugged wires
Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
climb underneath start looking around fc for unplugged wires

This might sound stupid what does fc stand for?
Old 12-17-2010, 02:20 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: I6 4.0 HO

It is possible that the lever has come loose due to being gummed up and un-lubricated. I found that that "rubber-boot" under the vehicle had completely rotted away which allowed the arm to slide off the connecting rod on my 1991.

Crawl under the ride and follow the 4x4 lever arm to verify.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by crpowell08
This might sound stupid what does fc stand for?
oops it was late i meant tc transfer case
Old 12-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Okay I'll try the suggestions above and let you know what the outcome is
Old 12-17-2010, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

dont forget to check fluids! surprising how much good liquid will effect a jeep!!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:55 PM

You may not have a light due to corrosion in the plug on the transfer case. Mine is all gummed up and no light. I know when im in 4x4 because of needing more gas or clutch to move while engaged, and also the typical waddle when the wheels are turned. You could have the vacuum disconnect system that isn't activating the front axle.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:55 PM

I have not been able to get under it yet we just had a ice storm and the roads are ice now, melting so puddles of water that is how I found out 4x4 not working I got stuck on ice put it in 4x4 and only back tire turned still taking to a friends tomorrow to get under it he has a pole barn so i won't have to lay in water does anyone know where I can get a vacuum and wiring diagram for the 4x4 system.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 91 Limited

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to drive it to engage it into 4x4? That's how mine works. And then the lights come on.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Destination XJ
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to drive it to engage it into 4x4? That's how mine works. And then the lights come on.
On my 1991 this is correct. I come to a complete stop, throw tranny in neutral and then throw 4x4 Full-Time then swap to Drive on the tranny. Usually I have to press the throttle a little for 10-15 feet and it locks into place.

However if I am sitting still stuck in something, the only way you could get it to engage is if you were able to rock it back and forth a bit but it's not going to be easy.

I'd disengage it in neutral on flat ground and drive around for a minute to make sure you're in 2wd then do a test to go into 4wd.

I'll grab my owners manual for instructions again on how to switch to 4x4 for confirmation.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

91 has vacuum disconnect and the switch runs off the vacuum too...
Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 91 Limited

I shift mine on the fly, I have the np242. It takes a little bit for it to switch. (seconds tho)
Old 12-19-2010, 10:49 AM

My 1991 Owners Manual states:

Transfer Case Shifting -- Selec-Trac
*2WD Position: This position is for driving on hard surfaced roads under normal driving conditions when 4-wheel drive is not desired.
*4x4 PART TIME Position: This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when on- or off-road conditions such as deep snow or heavy ice require increased traction. Do not use 4x4 PART TIME on dry, paved roads. To engage, shift transfer case lever from 2WD to 4x4 PART TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.
*4x4 FULL TIME Position: This is the primary 4-wheel drive position which offers better traction when roads are wet, snow covered or icy. Use Selec-Trac 4x4 FULL TIME year round on all road surfaces if you wish. To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 FULL TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.
*4 LO Position: This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when off-road conditions require added low speed pulling power. Do not use 4 LO on dry, paved roads. To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h), shift the transmission into Neutral (N), then shift the transfer case lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4 LO.

CAUTION: Never attempt to engage Low Range when the vehicle is moving faster than 2-3 mph (3-5km/h). Transfer case damage may result.

The 4-wheel drive indicator lamps in the instrument cluster (FULL TIME or PART TIME) illuminate when the transfer case has completed the shift to the selected position. If the appropriate indicator lamp does not illuminate after moving the shift lever, momentarily release the accelerator pedal to expedite the shift. In shifting from 2WD through 4x4 PART TIME to 4x4 FULL TIME, two momentary releases of the accelerator pedal may be required.

Note: Delayed shifts into or out of 4-wheel drive may be experienced due to uneven tire wear, low tire pressure, excessive vehicle loading, or cold temperatures.

WARNING: Do not drive the vehicle unless the transfer case is fully engaged. Failure to completely engage a position can cause transfer case damage or loss of power and vehicle control.

Command-Trac 4-Wheel Drive

Command-Trac provides a part-time 4-wheel drive. When engaged, both the front and rear axles are mechanically locked together and turn at the same speed.

The Command-Trac system consists of:

*2-wheel drive in 2H (High range)
*Part-time 4-wheel drive in 4H (High range)
*Neutral (N) position to disengage axles from powertrain.
*Part-time 4-wheel drive in 4L (Low range)
*An amber PART TIME indicator light in the instrument cluster showing that the vehicle is operating in 4-wheel drive (4H or 4L).

WARNING: Do not leave vehicle unattended with the transfer case in the Neutral (N) position without first fully engaging the parking brake. The transfer case Neutral (N) position disengages both axles and will allow the vehicle to move regardless of the transmission position.

CAUTION: Never operate a Command-Trac vehicle in 4-wheel drive on dry, hard-surfaced roads for a sustained period, and use 4L only when needed for added pulling power. Using 4-wheel drive on such roads will cause stress and possible damage to components, as well as make shifting difficult. To reduce shifting effort, drive the vehicle in reverse for a few feet, or drive off the hard-surfaced road momentarily to allow tire slippage.

Transfer Case Shifting - Command-Trac

*2WD Position: This position is designed for driving on hard-surfaced roads under normal driving conditions when 4-wheel drive is not needed.
*4H Position: This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive for traction when driving in rain, snow, mud, sand or when driving off-road. Do not use 4H on dry, paved roads. To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.
*4L Position: This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when off-road driving conditions require added low speed pulling power. Do not use 4L on dry paved roads. To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 mph (3-5km/h), shift the transmission to Neutral (N), then shift the transfer case lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L.

CAUTION: Never attempt to engage Low range when vehicle is moving faster than 2-3 mph (3-5km/h). Transfer case damage may result.

WARNING: Do not drive the vehicle unless the transfer case is fully engaged. Failure to completely engage a position can cause transfer case damage or loss of power and vehicle control.

Trac-Lok Rear Axle

The optional Trac-Lok rear axle provides a constant driving force to both rear wheels and reduces wheel spin caused by the loss of traction at one driving wheel. If traction differs between the two rear wheels, the differential automatically proportions the usable torque by providing more torque to the wheel that has traction.

Trak-Lok is especially helpful during slippery driving conditions. With both rear wheels on a slippery surface, a slight application of the accelerator will supply maximum traction. When starting with only one rear wheel on an excessively slippery surface, slight application of the parking brake may be necessary to gain maximum traction.
Hope this helps...
Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by daurwid
On my 1991 this is correct. I come to a complete stop, throw tranny in neutral and then throw 4x4 Full-Time then swap to Drive on the tranny. Usually I have to press the throttle a little for 10-15 feet and it locks into place.

However if I am sitting still stuck in something, the only way you could get it to engage is if you were able to rock it back and forth a bit but it's not going to be easy.

I'd disengage it in neutral on flat ground and drive around for a minute to make sure you're in 2wd then do a test to go into 4wd.

I'll grab my owners manual for instructions again on how to switch to 4x4 for confirmation.
Does your light come on when you first put it in 4x4 or does it come on when you drive the 10 15 feet this is my first 4x4 and it came with no manual or anything telling me how to change to 4x4 I have always came to a stop and put it in neatrul then switched to 4x4 and then back in drive.

Quick Reply: 1991 cherokee 4x4 problem