Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1990 Battery draw

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline6
Default 1990 Battery draw

Hey. I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee and I appear to have a draw. I've replaced the alternator and Battery already. So I'm fairly sure neither can be bad. New Duralast 100+ alternator iirc. and an Optima Red Top. I haven't been working much lately so the Jeep's been sitting and I occasionally turn her on to make sure all is well. For a couple of weeks it was fine then the other day I turned her on to see if all was well and my Temp Gauge is all the way to the right and won't reset and my battery says it's below 9amps.....Any ideas? I suck with electrical so I'm sure this isn't gonna be easy for me -_-
Old 04-03-2016, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

So it starts up even after sitting? Still starting?
OK so if it starts up, it has power, 12V+ to crank and go.
So then the gauge readings are off. Suspicious that two gauges (temp and volts) are off.
Yet she's running. I'll assume running well.
I'd be most suspect of the gauge cluster.
There is a ground wire of the gauge cluster, pretty light gauge, a legacy of AMC rationing the copper back then at the transition into Chrysler.
This gauge ground wire can use an upgrade. It fastens to the dash frame down drivers side, above your left foot.
Will take some dash disassembly time to get back up to the back of dash. All the gauges will love a better ground. The factory dash Volt meter will also become more accurate.
All grounds on the vehicle can benefit from a clean up, see Cruiser's process on grounds freshening. I've even added additional ground leads on my bat and engine.
If you have an additional hand held voltmeter, take a reading at battery, hopefully it is like 13+ and disputes the 9V shown on dash. At 9V she shouldn't start or run well. So if it's running, the gauge is most susspect.
Although, I have had a bad alternator, new out of the box, failed in couple days, this one overcharged and took the battery out with it. Was frustrating, that's the thing with electronics. A small percentage of electronic components will suffer an almost instant failure, if no fail at short life, will last a good span.
So if your running, that's good news and I'd test with a hand held voltmeter. Then follow up with ground connections cleanup.
Double check your alternator connections are clean and snug and that you don't have a cracked battery terminal connection that could vibrate loose.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 Inline6

Originally Posted by peep
So it starts up even after sitting? Still starting?
OK so if it starts up, it has power, 12V+ to crank and go.
So then the gauge readings are off. Suspicious that two gauges (temp and volts) are off.
Yet she's running. I'll assume running well.
I'd be most suspect of the gauge cluster.
There is a ground wire of the gauge cluster, pretty light gauge, a legacy of AMC rationing the copper back then at the transition into Chrysler.
This gauge ground wire can use an upgrade. It fastens to the dash frame down drivers side, above your left foot.
Will take some dash disassembly time to get back up to the back of dash. All the gauges will love a better ground. The factory dash Volt meter will also become more accurate.
All grounds on the vehicle can benefit from a clean up, see Cruiser's process on grounds freshening. I've even added additional ground leads on my bat and engine.
If you have an additional hand held voltmeter, take a reading at battery, hopefully it is like 13+ and disputes the 9V shown on dash. At 9V she shouldn't start or run well. So if it's running, the gauge is most susspect.
Although, I have had a bad alternator, new out of the box, failed in couple days, this one overcharged and took the battery out with it. Was frustrating, that's the thing with electronics. A small percentage of electronic components will suffer an almost instant failure, if no fail at short life, will last a good span.
So if your running, that's good news and I'd test with a hand held voltmeter. Then follow up with ground connections cleanup.
Double check your alternator connections are clean and snug and that you don't have a cracked battery terminal connection that could vibrate loose.
I didn't even bother checking the Batt! It's showing 12.36 off and running it's at 14.55 so everything should be ok! Bad Clusters maybe. Thanks for that man. Saved me a ton of time and headaches hah. I'll look into a new cluster set and I did the Cruiser Refresh already. I'll look into adding the refresh on the cluster to though now.