Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1989 fuel rail/line problem HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1989 fuel rail/line problem HELP ASAP

I have a 1989 jeep Cherokee 6 cyl 2wd and its been having some problems for quite some time it seems like the o rings keep going bad in the fuel rail where the fuel line connects to it the clip is brand new but i'm ALWAYS having to replace the o rings sometimes if i push against the fuel line while having someone turn it on it starts right up. Am I getting the wrong o rings? Do my injectors need cleaned? Is it the fuel rail? PLEASE HELP been having this problem for MONTHS.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

There is a specific kit, with the correct clips and (fuel-resistant) o-rings. I'm not sure what the part number is but Cruiser and Flintstone do and I"m sure they'll chime in.

Did you lubricate the o-rings before inserting them into the rail?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by F1Addict
There is a specific kit, with the correct clips and (fuel-resistant) o-rings. I'm not sure what the part number is but Cruiser and Flintstone do and I"m sure they'll chime in.

Did you lubricate the o-rings before inserting them into the rail?
1) It's probably best to get the dealer kit (I don't recall the part number either,) but I have yet to get confirmation of useful aftermarket part numbers. You can probably find dealer-equivalent sealing kits at Morris 4x4 Center (through Omix-Ada or Crown - I've done well with both) and I find it useful to keep a few sets on hand (just like oil filter adapter O-rings - they're going to fail sooner or later, so you may as well get ahead of the game.)

2) Make sure the socket is clean before you put the new O-rings in. Pipe cleaners work well to clean these QD sockets - I usually fold it in half and use the bent section, it's stiffer. You can bend them in half and then twist them to get more cleaning action if you need it - but the pipe cleaners tend to collect anything they clean up, and don't leave extra crud in your fuel rail.

3) Also, make sure that the socket isn't damaged. If there's any scoring or bad scuffing in the socket, it likely won't seal at all. If that's the case, ping me and I can see if I have an extra fuel rail around in good condition ("worked when pulled.") I'd just have to figure out how to ship the wretched thing...

When inspecting sealing surfaces, use a focussed bright light to show up any flaws. I get a lot of use out of my SureFire G2 for mechanical work - nicely focussed, and nice and bright. Great for machined/polished surface inspections. (It also fits neatly in one hand - if I wrap my fist around it, just the bezel sticks out. This makes it easier to use in confined areas.)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently did an injector swap on my '90 and had some difficulties with the o-rings. I posted a thread on NAXJA with all the details one needs to know about the o-rings;

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1086841