Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1989 Cherokee Coolant leak/running real hot

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 1989 Cherokee Coolant leak/running real hot

Hey all,

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for a while. I have a 1989 Cherokee Laredo with the Renix system. I overheated it a while back when off-roading. I had to replace the hose that goes to the thermostat housing from the overflow resevoir. I am leaking some coolant in two weird spots. The first is right behind the passenger front tire, and the second is right over the muffler. I have a Flowmaster 440 I believe (I know it is a Flow master). The coolant that is leaking is not warm at all. The picture is of my radiator hose that seems to have no pressure when I squeeze it while the system should have pressure (around 200F). I seem to randomly get hot when in operation. I drove less than 2 miles just now and the temperature got just below the red. Does this seem like it could be my thermostat for the overheating? Also are there any suggestions for the leaking too? I can't find any traces of leaking when under the hood or under the vehicle. I have recently had to replace the valve cover gasket, and the rear main seal. All of those repairs have been done by myself due to this forum!I will get pictures of the leaking locations in a few minutes, I figure that this is a great starting point. I am also leaking a small amount of oil, and can't quite pinpoint it. My rig is due for a good engine bay cleaning due to the valve cover gasket blowing and oil spewing everywhere. Thanks guys!