Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1987 XJ Heater Core Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1987 XJ Heater Core Questions

It appears my heater core is bad. I have notice occasional leaks under the dash on the passenger side near the center console area, I get a smokey substance out of the vent whenever the cool temp lever isn't all the way over to the left, I'm getting a slight window fog on the passenger side and when I do run some heat the windows get a oiling fog coating that's hard to wipe off. Sound like a bad heater core.

My question deals with guides or writeups to repair this myself. I know I have to take the dash out to get to it but I see writeups for newer Cherokees that say I have to have the A/C discharged to replace the heater core. Is this also true with the '87s?

Also, are there any methods used to replace it without complete dash removal? Or in a shorter time frame? Any assistance, guidance or links would be appreciated.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

As far as I know, there are no shortcuts - the HVAC box is a single unit that requires both the evap core and heater core be disconnected in order for removal. FWIW, an evap core can be ordered for less than $100, and if you're replacing one then just replace them both and save yourself the headache of having to do it multiple times.

That's the writeup for an '87 (Hat tip to Ol' Blue): https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/dash-removal-35444/