Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1984 California V6 2.8L Wagoneer Aircleaner Vacuum Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default 1984 California V6 2.8L Wagoneer Aircleaner Vacuum Diagram

in the process of trying to figure out my distributor, I broke the ancient vacuum lines underneath the air filter housing on this vehicle. I thought I could piece them back together by matching up the broken hose ends but without the diagram I am struggling. There are two connections under the air cleaner that both go to the same device, and two on top of the air cleaner inlet that go to different devices/valves. In one of the hoses I found a small aluminum plug that looks like someone's half-assed attempt to disable something, or one of the check valves might have spat out part of its innards. The whole tree of hoses forms one trunk which hooks up to a line that runs transversely above the distributor. So I am trying to unravel this "tree". There are several check valves in these lines and I think I may have lost one of them as I heard something metallic drop onto the exhaust and could not find it. I have a yellow valve and a gray valve each about the dia of a quarter , and then one smaller valve about the size of a nickel. I know where those go in the lines but I think there may be a fourth device missing. I found the 49 state vacuum line diagram online but not the California one. Specifically, this tree I am referring to is not shown on the 49 state version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by vh2q; 09-20-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Note from DJ
Have a look at this
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/2_8L.htm
Old 09-20-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks DJ, but duh never mind the diagram is on the firewall .. so I think I have it hooked up right now. (Previous mechanic had it all backwards, he didn't even have the vacuum actuators hooked up so motor was on permanent choke.)

Last edited by vh2q; 09-20-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Note from DJ
Glad you got it fixed.