Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 XJ Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 01 XJ Fog lights

I just got an 01 XJ and I'm currently trying to fix the factory fog lights. I didn't check them when I bought it and I just went to check them and noticed that there was an extensive amount of rust in the housing as if there was a bunch of water that got trapped in there for a while. Neither one works and the other side does appear to be fine. I'm going to be buying new housings but upon checking the voltage at the car side connector with both the housings unplugged, my fluke keeps reading OL and I dont see voltage on either side. So my question would be, would the one housings short cause the relay to go bad? I don't have an extra relay yet, I'm going to grab a new one when I can. Here is what I know,

- Fog light Switch light goes green as it should. And goes off like it should when the high beams are on

- All other lights are working

- Fuse 7 is not blown

- Everything else works electronically with regard to my drivers side door speaker that I cant seem to find where there is a break in the positive wire, and the drivers side heated seat has a break in it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

The factory fogs are interlocked with the high beams meaning the fogs automatically turn off when the high beams are on.
When measuring the voltage make sure the low beams are on with the fog switch on.

If the fogs were corroded out there's a good chance the fog relay is too.
Don't know where its located, maybe someone else here knows.

By the way i replaced my factory fogs with these.
They were a lot less expensive than the stealership and IMO better built than the OEMs

http://www.morris4x4center.com/fog-l...5055274ab.html
Old 06-05-2017, 12:43 PM

I just ordered the TYC's from rock auto and they were $59 shipped for the pair. I tested the voltage with the switch on and the low beams on. Im also suspecting the relay and possibly the wiring going to it being that everything else is working. I was able to find another post with the wiring diagrams. Ill do more testing tonight when I get a chance.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

good luck trying to get the old ones off lol. tried everything to get mine off properly till the bolt snapped off inside.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:58 PM

Lucky for me the rest of the thing is pretty much rust free and ridiculously low mileage. I have a Milwaukee 1/2 impact that will make light work of that. In fact I just took the factory hitch off and it wasn't that bad at all. I was able to get all the factory bolts out without damaging the nut strips. I cleaned them out with a tap and put new hardware in. Now doing the U-Joints on my brothers 96.. Thats a different story.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

lol nice. yeah i dont have the luxury of owning those yet, but they would be so handy.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:09 PM

So I got the new lights and did some diag on it. No power down the harness and looking at the schematic theres really nothing in line with that. I took the fog 2 relay out and im not getting voltage at the positive pin of the relay. Would it be safe to assume that the switch might be malfunctioning at this point? I am getting a green light but it looks like the fog light circuit doesnt actually fall in line with the illumination led on the switch. Also noted that I dont see a light on the dash with the switch on.