Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'00 GC Laredo -- towing and engine temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '00 GC Laredo -- towing and engine temp

Hello all -- a newbie here, and not very mechanical!

I recently purchased a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo, I6 with what I thought was a factory towing package to pull my tent trailer. The trailer is a larger one, approximately 2600 lbs dry -- add 25 gallons of water, some gear and 2 occupants for less than 3600 gross probably?

Anyway, my spousal equivalent and I went camping last weekend for the first time with the Cherokee and the trailer. Most of the way to the destination was fairly normal in terms of climb or descent, but the last bit requires a reasonably steep climb, then a drop into the lake.

The temp outside was only mid 70's (according to the rig's data display). The AC was on, and I was towing with the OD off. Part way through the climb, I started watching the temperature gauge, and it was climbing past the 210 mark. I turned off the AC and kept watching. By the time we crested the ridge, the needle was WAY too close to the red zone for my comfort. I was grateful it was no hotter outside! It will be soon!

I've posed questions to the tent trailer forum, but thought I would here as well. I'm getting suggestions for everything from trans coolers to different fans and radiators. One of the simplest was to wash out the radiator, which I did -- though it wasn't overly plugged with bugs and large stuff, ALOT of grime washed out of it. How it will affect operating temp remains to be seen.

I felt I had talked to the seller enough about his experience with towing and overheating potential to be comfortable the vehicle would fit my needs well. Though I don't think I was misled, there are things emerging that I need to work out to feel comfortable towing safely and worry free.

Any suggestions you all might offer? Easiest and least expensive first, if possible -- Thanks much!!
Old 06-10-2014, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

You may want to post this in the GC section to get the answer you are looking for. This is the XJ section.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
You may want to post this in the GC section to get the answer you are looking for. This is the XJ section.
Oooops! Thanks Robert -- I'm a newbie in more ways than one!