CF Suggestions & Questions All site related suggestions, questions, and problems should be discussed here. (This sub-forum is not for Cherokee-related questions - those go above!).

Uhh, is the Lexiva Advertisement necessary?

Old 07-10-2010, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Uhh, is the Lexiva Advertisement necessary?

Searching the forums for info about backfiring when the banner ad below the navigation links advertised Lexiva. Apparently Lexiva is helpful for folks with HIV.

Does CF have any say what ad's are displayed? I'm pretty sure CF won't be getting much income through that link. Us Cherokee owners have probably caught a thing or two during our travels, but HIV? lol
Old 07-10-2010, 11:59 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: i-6 4.0

theres ads on here? Guess my custom hosts file, along with adblock plus for firefox do a great job

may i recommend that you try using a customized hosts file, simple to do
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
under the red text, theres a Download: hosts.zip click that and save to desktop or wherever.
extract the zip with winrar or winzip or similar.
2x click the mvps.bat file and read the information that pops up in a command prompt window (if your using vista or win7, RIGHT click the mvps.bat and click "run as administrator")

IF your web browsing seems a bit slow, go to start, click RUN, or search it if on vista/win7.
when the box pops up, type "services.msc" without quotes
when that box pops up, find "DNS client" and 2x click it
when the DNS client box pops up, click the dropdown, his Disable, and then click Stop.

this will help protect against a lot of ad's, fake antivirus programs.

Let me know if you need any help, ill gladly help you out
Old 07-11-2010, 01:13 AM

I work as a system administrator and have used host files in the past. It's good info for the novice and I used to employ it in the past. I just end up formatting my machines monthly because I'm always trying to break stuff.

I should get back into the practice though. Good info!
Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 AM

break stuff on virtual machines much easier haha
Old 07-11-2010, 01:25 AM

Good point. Guess I'm getting lazy. Running ESX on my DL380 G5 but it's primarily running my DC, Exchange, etc. I suppose I could employ something like ISA as well to block nasties.

My wife was happy when I picked up the Jeep hobby.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:31 AM

haha, yea my jeep has done the same to me. Another thing you could implement that doesnt deal with the computer side is an alternate DNS, like OpenDNS. Set it up through your router and it seems to help a bit. blocks phishing sites, some sites with viruses, and stuff like that.
I have been using it for well over a year now and have not had one problem with it, best of all its free.
http://www.opendns.com/
and that way, when you do your monthly format, you have a layer of security you wont need to reinstall
Old 07-11-2010, 03:49 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6

That was probably the fastest transformation from a joking concern to a seriously nerdy discussion that I have ever seen. Which is all good in my book

More importantly, did you fix your backfires?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Addy
That was probably the fastest transformation from a joking concern to a seriously nerdy discussion that I have ever seen. Which is all good in my book

More importantly, did you fix your backfires?

Not yet unfortunately. I've been up all night creating a battle plan and it's almost time to excute said plan.

I'm almost 100% sure it's got to be the EGR valve, but I was 100% sure it would be the CPS, then the Fuel Pump, injectors, etc...

About to take the injectors out of their bath and let them dry while I go inspect the EGR valve. The sun is rising here in Dever now.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

Originally Posted by EMAXX620
theres ads on here? Guess my custom hosts file, along with adblock plus for firefox do a great job

may i recommend that you try using a customized hosts file, simple to do
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
under the red text, theres a Download: hosts.zip click that and save to desktop or wherever.
extract the zip with winrar or winzip or similar.
2x click the mvps.bat file and read the information that pops up in a command prompt window (if your using vista or win7, RIGHT click the mvps.bat and click "run as administrator")

IF your web browsing seems a bit slow, go to start, click RUN, or search it if on vista/win7.
when the box pops up, type "services.msc" without quotes
when that box pops up, find "DNS client" and 2x click it
when the DNS client box pops up, click the dropdown, his Disable, and then click Stop.

this will help protect against a lot of ad's, fake antivirus programs.

Let me know if you need any help, ill gladly help you out
Wow, I just did something in Geek mode and it worked! Awesome, I don't get the ads with the paid service but that "services.msc" advice was something new to me. Thankyou, I see the improvement already
Old 07-11-2010, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

You know whats easier? Just become a contributing member, then the ads go away all together, just a thought.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:59 AM

But then I would miss the unintentional comedy of the ads. After my trip overseas is over I intend to contribute.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Willys55
Wow, I just did something in Geek mode and it worked! Awesome, I don't get the ads with the paid service but that "services.msc" advice was something new to me. Thankyou, I see the improvement already
no problem sir, glad it helped you out

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
You know whats easier? Just become a contributing member, then the ads go away all together, just a thought.
This site isnt the reason for it, i did it long before i was a member here (well before i had my jeep) and it is for security and to remove pop-up ad's, side ads on websites. Honestly did not know that there were ads on here. No, i havent bought a subscription to this site yet, but ive bought a handful of stickers that im sure support the site a bit. If this sounds like im trying to be a dick to you, im not in any way. Just explaining myself.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

So how is this Cherokee related? Moved to Off Topic.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Desert Rat

not entirely...not for me anyways...i still get them at the bottom occasionally...and im a paid member...its not enough to complain buy yeah...next time it happens ill take a screen shot for yall....
Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

No worries, I just know that since I became a contibutor I don't get the ads as long as I'm logged in. i suppose everyones PC and internet might work a little differently.

Search this Thread