CF Suggestions & Questions All site related suggestions, questions, and problems should be discussed here. (This sub-forum is not for Cherokee-related questions - those go above!).

post count thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:47 AM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Smile post count thoughts

i am a member of many different forums, some of which i dont frequent as much as others, and so as i dont really get a chance to see how knowledgeable some are i use post counts to help me judge how creditable people are. on here in the off topic section there are some threads that have gotten a lot of people to have high post counts a few of which i have found to be more or smart aleks than anything. on another jeep related forum that i am on they dont count the "general discussion/off topic" posts towards your account (if they did id have nearly 4k posts from one thread alone ) so could this not be a good policy to put into effect here. Im not trying at all to say that everybody who posts in there is useless.

to sum it up-
Why not have the off topic discussion type place posts not count towards your post count to help others see who really is an asset to the site?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that would be a good idea and still allow members to chat with one another in the off topic section. Unfortunately there are some who would simply post useless banter in the tech threads to pad their post count. It happens on a regular basis everyday already. I see countless post entries that have absolutely no beneficial input on the thread topic. Of course this almost always leads to the conversation veering way off course from the intended question. Thus leaving other members in search of an answer brwsing through numerous threads to find an answer to an issue they may be having.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: I6 4.0

I think its a great idea...

now to get it changed.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 AM

Personally, i don't really pay much attention to the thread counts anyway. I pay more attention to the quality of the post instead. I can pretty much tell i'm somebody's just B.S.'n or not, ya know?

I simply pick and choose as to what is "foreal"...

BTW- i guess the Moderators could just ban all of the undesirables?

Last edited by guest02; 01-14-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

What is a significant number, in my opinion, is the subscribed threads count. Those of us that contribute actively to solve problems in the tech section have a high number of subscribed threads. Those who post only in the chat, BS, and general discussion threads might have a high post count but not a high number of subscribed threads, because the BS threads are just a few.
Obviously this comparison can be done between users that have approx the same date of registration, and anyway who has been on CF more than 6 months already knows who is who and how much these are doing for the community.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:54 PM

PERFECT example why this would be a great addition to the forum: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/member...yxjgirl-15163/

Almost 75 posts per day, all in Off-Topic. In one week she claimed "senior member" status.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:16 PM
I like it in the dirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by goneracin
PERFECT example why this would be a great addition to the forum: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/member...yxjgirl-15163/

Almost 75 posts per day, all in Off-Topic. In one week she claimed "senior member" status.
Just out of curiosity, why does it even matter? If you guys are deciding whose advice to follow based on post count then maybe you should be rethinking who your listening too.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

sorry...
Old 02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Funnything, she probably knows more about Jeeps than you do. Don't talk out your butt. makes you look stupid. Her boyfriend also owns an XJ, and she's been around on this forum almost as long as him just using his account. She got an account at the prompting of myself and other members so she could use her own account and not her boyfriend's.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
Funnything, she probably knows more about Jeeps than you do. Don't talk out your butt. makes you look stupid. Her boyfriend also owns an XJ, and she's been around on this forum almost as long as him just using his account. She got an account at the prompting of myself and other members so she could use her own account and not her boyfriend's.
x2

idont get what the big deal is guys its a number
Old 02-02-2010, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

Somepeople like to complain,let them.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

who cares post count wat does it really matter nothing
Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by itsanxjthing
Just out of curiosity, why does it even matter? If you guys are deciding whose advice to follow based on post count then maybe you should be rethinking who your listening too.
Exactly, anyone who has been around the forum knows who they can get advice from and who not to get advice from. Post count is generally a good indicator of experience, I post tons in the off topic section about whatever....however I also post lots in the tech sections and there are various people who can vouch that on certain subjects I know my stuff.

If someone has a high post count, even if they post a bunch in the off-topic section they are typically a dedicated member of the forum who also likes to just chat about whatever
Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
Exactly, anyone who has been around the forum knows who they can get advice from and who not to get advice from. Post count is generally a good indicator of experience, I post tons in the off topic section about whatever....however I also post lots in the tech sections and there are various people who can vouch that on certain subjects I know my stuff.

If someone has a high post count, even if they post a bunch in the off-topic section they are typically a dedicated member of the forum who also likes to just chat about whatever
i completly agree
Old 02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
I like it in the dirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by 95yeti
i completly agree
The people with high post counts are the people who have been around the forum most. And if you really wanted to you could check out what threads their post are in.

Quick Reply: post count thoughts