Trail Reports Show off pictures of your recent wheeling events.

went wheeling at haspin acres...with trail damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went wheeling at haspin acres...with trail damage

some friends and i headed out for haspin acres yesterday morning at about 6 AM....we had a blast...

this was the first time ive really wheeled my XJ and it did great...but it was slimy there in places, and i made contact with a couple trees....smashed my drivers door in so badly i cant open it from the outside..did the same to the passenger side, but it still opens...

then i was going up a big hill with a deep rut on the far left side....i kept outa it for a while, then the jeep slid sideways but only the left rear tire fell into the rut, making the tail light make first contact with the mud wall....breaking the tail light, and smashing in the whole corner between the fender flare and the plastic bumper end...

my worst thing that happened, i didnt even get any damage from...some how

the friends i went with trailered his jeep and the other trailered his sami...so they were going down some pretty tight trails, that i could always find a better way around since i was driving mine home

they found this awesome hill to go down, and the sami and the ZJ both, at the bottom, laid over on their sides, but only for a minute, then the rigs both righted them selves as they exited the hill...i didnt want to go that way, so i looked and looked and looked for a better way, and the only way better, so i thought, was right next to the hill they tool..but it wasnt off camber, just a really steep hill that split off about 5 feet from the top with a tree in the middle...i thought it was going to be a bit tackier where i could get some grip...

needless to say i was wrong..i put it in first gear, 4-lo, and lightly rode the brakes so the wheels still would turn so i could keep control....but the hill was so slimy, right when i turning the wheels to avoid the tree, all hell broke loose

the tires locked up just from being in first gear 4-lo and started to slide sideways at a rapid pace...at that time, i thought, well, i guess im going to slide the rest of the 30 feet down this hill and lay it over in the creek...i was able to straighten it, but couldnt do anything else..and i went off the 2 or 3 foot bank into the creek and nailed the opposite bank with my front end going about 10 MPH with my tires locked up the whole time...

my cooler was full of ice, up until that moment, when all the ice ended up on my lap, the dash board and the passenger seat, along with the burgers, the hot dogs, and my waters and sunkists...even some of my cans flew out the windows and landed in the creek bed....

the friend of mine that was the closest came running up to me asking me if i was ok...i just look at him and go, my efin cooler just emptied all over me...he said, "forget the damn cooler, are you alright" and i said yes, so then they pulled me out, and we expected to see a compltely mangled front end...but all it did was pack some mud up in my grill and folded my fog lights back..and the sheer shock of the impact broke my drivers rear view mirror off..talk about a scary ride..lol

but my friends said it was bad enough they thought the day was going to be over bc i was going to be in the hospital

anyways, heres some pics of the day

hers when we got there, they got their rigs unloaded and were were ready to hit the trails
on the right is my friends ZJ he bought for 200 bucks..then the sami is my other friends rig...both of them have a welded rear end

heres the bronco i sold to get the XJ...that guy decided to bring it to wheel too...broke both from axle joints

Old 09-27-2009, 03:12 PM

these next three pictures, were taken after i crashed into the creek..you can see how plowed my front end was in the bank..lol..and on the 3rd pic, its kinda blurry but you can see behind the jeep, how steep the hill was i went down...

heres pics of the days damage...kinda hard to see, but look around where the door handles are on both doors, and back between the left rear fender flare, and bumper end cap, and u can see my mirror just hanging there too...

Old 09-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee

Thats awsome! Glad your ok, all the damage adds caracter atleast you got a sweet story out of it.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Awesome dude great time. I'll have to post pics from wooleys on the 3rd. of Oct. Me and winston427, my girlfriend and kevin are going.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Quazzimoto
Thats awsome! Glad your ok, all the damage adds caracter atleast you got a sweet story out of it.
lol...yea i got a good story..thats for sure..lol...every one was pissed that they didnt get video..lol...and i almost handed my camera to some one just so they could video tape me going down...ah well

i wish atleast my drivers door still opened from the outside..lol...i went out today and took it apart, and tried to fix the dent bc its pinching the cable and thats why i cant open it from the outside, but the dent is right behind one of those damn braces...so i cant get to it with a chisel and hammer to well
Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: stock

now that looked like fun, might be time for some muddies and front bar... should buff right out anyways...
Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by cantab27
now that looked like fun, might be time for some muddies and front bar... should buff right out anyways...
i couldnt agree more...id like some better mud tires...but with the limited slip, it really did well in the mud, even with those tires

id like to pop out the dents in the doors, but other then that i dont mind the dents...it was a good way to baptize the XJ for its future life of wheeling..

it was funny, after i got that dent in the driver door, the first dent i got of the day, my friends in the red ZJ with the light bar drove up to me and yelled "wholy **** what did you do?"..lol...i then told them i hadnt been out yet to look at it, and they yelled back "probably best if you dont get out"..lol

but yea, it was a great time...i love wheeling with these guys bc they know a LOT more about wheeling then i do...theyve been doing it since they were 6..so they are very smart about it, but are also fun as hell to hit the trails with...and as you see, they (the ones with the red zj with out a front end pretty much, and the sami guy) they pull there rigs their, and i drive mine there and back, so they try to help to keep me outa the rough stuff that could render my XJ undriveable...

but yea, it was a blast...

it was funny, my friends who were on top of the hill that i slid down, they said that when it started sliding, all they heard coming outa my window was "oh f*** oh f*** oh f***" so we got a really good laugh about it later...plus when we found the sunkist can in the creek bed that flew outa my cooler from the back..lol...and you can see the ice on my dash board thru my windshield.....it was a blast!!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

Glad you're ok man. I hate driving in mud.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by djlarroc
Glad you're ok man. I hate driving in mud.
im not the biggest fan of mud either, but its mostly all we have around here, so if i want to go wheeling, and its rained once in the last few days, then i gotta play in the mud

but i make the best of it...i didnt think that hill was going to be quite so slimy tho...that one kinda cought me by suprise
Old 09-28-2009, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Awesome story and nice pics
Old 09-28-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by REWSTER
Awesome story and nice pics
thanx Rewster!

i fixed the drivers door, i can now open it from the outside...still doesnt look pretty but atleast i can get in and out
Old 09-30-2009, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

Did a simular thing its amazing how much those front ends take before they get messed up. Glad your Okay. Just remember....chicks dig body damage
Old 10-04-2009, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by XJ?2010
Did a simular thing its amazing how much those front ends take before they get messed up. Glad your Okay. Just remember....chicks dig body damage
lol...well the XJ now has plenty of it
Old 10-15-2009, 04:46 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 HO

hey wat kind of difficulty rating do you think you were on. My jeep looks like it's the same setup as yours i was wondering before i got into something to hardcore. I've had that happen to me in our white jeep (my pictures) and i ripped the front grill off of it