Trail Reports Show off pictures of your recent wheeling events.

Sidewinder 10-18-08 - Kremmling, CO

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0ltr
Default Sidewinder 10-18-08 - Kremmling, CO

Couple buddies and I did this trail today.

Had a great time, first time I've done it!

It started off a little disappointing, the Guardian Rocks

and the next two squeeze obstacles with railroad ties along the bank of the creek bed

were all pretty easy (but I still managed to mangle my right rear door a little where it got narrow), we started to wonder if the drive from Denver was worth it.

But it got harder and funner real quick!

I don't have many pics, mostly video.

I pulled a few stills from my video footage to post up with what pictures I have. Somewhere down the road we'll get a video made and I'll post it up!

Soon after the two obstacles with the railroad ties, there was a fun little rockpile, lot's of wheel lift on all of our vehicles getting thru that one.

Then soon after another short rockpile where I shot some footage with the camera on the ground under my rig, kind of a cool shot! Right click and Save As please

James in the red Rubicon lead us on to the first rock garden, it was pretty challenging for all of us. James got wedged in one place and needed winching, there wasn't much to hook a cable to though, we pulled down a couple rocks that weren't strong enough anchors trying, then James had the idea of going straight up the hill to the side, to the only strong tree around, that ended up pulling his front end up the bank a little and out of the wedged spot, so that we could get him forward a couple feet. Then he drove out.

I had to work my XJ pretty hard to get thru the rocks but Kimo in the silver LJ went thru with hardly any trouble.

The next rock garden James had to struggle for awhile, these were pretty large rocks in real loose soil and all of us were catching our diff's and digging holes, then having to back up alot and working our tires on top of the rocks and often we'd slip off or move the rocks around and have to start over. But we got thru to the end eventually.

I was working my way thru the second rock garden and somewhere in the middle I thought I heard a knock in the left front, next rock it knocked again, uh oh!

So I was "that guy"............again!

Took about an hour to get my spare axle put in.

We all finally made it to the last set of rocks at the end of the rock gardens and had to fight those for awhile to get out!

After that it was pretty easy, there's a sandy creek bed with alot of flexing fun on the whoopdeedoo's, one narrow spot where a tree makes you ride the bank a little high, then a few rocks near the exit, which is a couple steep but smooth hill climbs.

A short trail only 1.35 miles long, but it's definitely challenging, probably will always need a rig with two lockers and at least 35's to do this trail, since the rocks are really hard to get diff's around and over!

Last edited by 87xjco; 10-18-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

wow. thats awesome. looks like you had a good time minus the break
Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: i6