For sale ***This area has been closed. You can view posts but can not create new posts or reply to existing posts in here.***

Flowmaster super 44 mufflers.. used less than 500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt
Default Flowmaster super 44 mufflers.. used less than 500 miles

Hello all,
I have recently installed dual (super 44 mufflers 2.5" center in/offset out) with turn down tips on my xj, that at first sounded good but as time has gone on ive come to dislike it.. Selling price is $70 each plus s/h.

Here are videos of my vehicle with the mufflers on..

If you have any questions, just post em up and ill answer asap.

Also, since im looking for a new set of mufflers, if anyone has a set/single that they would like to trade, inform me on the make and model of such muffler and we'll see if we can come to an agreement.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I am surprised you have that type of muffler with it ending underneath the vehicle, makes it hard to hear yourself inside the cab. I had my flowmaster tip ending where your mufflers do and I couldn't hardly think. I went back to the high performance shop and they extended it to the back of the Jeep and it was super quiet in the cab but just as loud outside and coming from the rear instead. Not sure if this is why you have come to dislike it....Sweet set up you have!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 AM

yea that could be it.. as i used to have a flowmaster 40 on my 93 sport and it didnt sound anywhere near as loud as this one.. Also the sound is echoing off the street making it like you say hard to think or talk to anyone in the car..

Theres also another sound that kinda bothers me, its like a tinking/ rattle sound.. I dont know if its the mufflers that just sound that way or could be another issue.. The shop didnt put the clamps on correctly (but they are tight and not moving) and i think i may have a few leaking welds.. Those could be reasons for that tinking/ rattling sound.. but i really dont have time to drive an hour to go back to the shop..

I also have catalytic converters sitting in the back seat waiting to be installed so that may help with toning down the sound.

If you guys have any suggestions that would help with the tone and rattle i may be able to save these mufflers..

And good tip on the back exit.. i didnt do it at the beginning because i was to do suspension work but i havent had the time..
Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

The cats will mute your sound so much it will be amazing...and really try to get the pipes to the back. Sounds like you may have a leaky weld. There should not be any rattles since the new 44's. Do you know of "ANY" shop with a welder that could or would help you out? I'd try that before driving an hour but if you have to....
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 PM

Engine: 4.0l

cant be "true" dual seein xjs only have 1 header buti think it would sound better with single muffler imho
Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by 98xj_john
cant be "true" dual seein xjs only have 1 header buti think it would sound better with single muffler imho

If you looked at the videos, its pretty clear that i have two separate pipes coming from the headers.. as well as two mufflers

Heres a pic of the headers: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/member...ing-silver.jpg

It actually sound pretty nice throughout the rpm range.. its just the drone when the windows are down that its annoying.. with windows up its not so bad.

Last edited by 98jeepsrt6; 02-03-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: didnt finish
Old 02-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by caspers-flight
The cats will mute your sound so much it will be amazing...and really try to get the pipes to the back. Sounds like you may have a leaky weld. There should not be any rattles since the new 44's. Do you know of "ANY" shop with a welder that could or would help you out? I'd try that before driving an hour but if you have to....
There are a few local shop around here that just do mufflers that i can ask if they could clean up the welds.. and put in the catalytic converters. but thats just putting out more money... with it going out the back i would need to go to the other shop to do the mandrel bends.. these local ones just do crimp bending..

if i push it further out the sides would that help with the sound not echoing so much? I dont wanna do the full length just to cut it off later..