KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

New Cherokee Latitude and best of all worlds

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 PM
rwp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default New Cherokee Latitude and best of all worlds

I should be picking up my Granite Crystal 2015 Cherokee Latitude tomorrow. We were looking at Grand Cherokees, but they are far different from the older ones. The wife and I happened to look at a Cherokee and became intrigued. I've read the positive reviews and read the potential issues on this board.

Getting a V6 Latitude with C&C package, winter package, and Active Drive II. After reading about ADII, I decided it would be a very wise addition to the car.

With all the discussions of old vs. new, I have the best situation. I'll have a 2015 plus I have my '96 Country with the Up Country package, 173k but in nice shape. It's a keeper.

I do have one easy question.....has anyone bought a trailer hitch and wiring kit? I won't be doing any heavy towing, just a utility trailer with lumber or my motorcycle and for short distances. Any comments appreciated.

Will post pics when both Cherokees are together.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:17 AM

Year: 2015
Engine: 3.2 V6

We picked up our V6 trailhawk with tow package a month or so ago. Went with the package instead of getting aftermarket hitch and wiring harness because of the extra cooling you also get with that - figure we'll probably tow something only rarely so it's good to have, but the extra radiator capacity should be good for long-lasting life of the Jeep anyways, so win-win. Just took our first road trip in it - drove 7 hrs a day - really great vehicle. If ours is any indication, you're going to love it.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Interested to see if anyone got did the aftermarket trailer hitch for a new cherokee... I just picked up a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited & wanted the tow package, but didn't get it.... I was thinking about getting an aftermarket one installed......
Old 06-04-2015, 06:31 PM

Year: 1997/2014
Engine: 4.0L I6/3.2 V6

The best part about getting the tow package with the KL is (other than the upgraded cooling and such) that the rear bumper is made for it. The hitch goes through the bumper. Aftermarket tow hitches, while probably cheaper, have to go below the bumper. And on a KL without the extra lift, that is very close to the ground. Even on a trailhawk like shown in the link below, your departure angle is destroyed. Its a much better idea to get the package for the additional price than to go aftermarket. If you already made the decision, I feel bad for you. Maybe you can get the dealership to install one of the OEM ones on there, but I'm sure you will end up paying a lot more for it!

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...leid=201423446
Old 06-04-2015, 07:05 PM
rwp

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I finally had a chance to take a quick pic of the Jeep "twins". I'm liking the new Cherokee, but the '96 Country with Up-country package is a keeper as well. Since I'm a recent transplant from Atlanta to western NC, they will both be handy.

Regarding trailer hitches, I've been watching manufacturer videos on hitch and wiring installation. I narrowed my selection to a CURT 13172 and CURT wiring harness. The two items are $199 with tax from Amazon. The hitch is hidden except for the receiver tube, so pretty nice looking. I checked with a good local shop and could get the hitch and wiring plus installation for about $390. But the hitch is fairly straightforward and the wiring is plug and play but requires a few panels to be removed. I can afford to have it done, but I'm more or less retired so I can take a bit of time with it.
Attached Thumbnails New Cherokee Latitude and best of all worlds-jeep-twins.jpg  
Old 06-07-2015, 01:29 PM

Year: 2015
Engine: 3.2

We got our new latitude last November. Have cold weather and towing package. Cold weather package in Wisconsin is great. the remote start and heated steering wheel and seats come in handy. Also has engine block heater plug in for really cold weather- plug is located around battery. Towing we'll find out this weekend, but having factory wiring is nice. We had to buy a 8" drop hitch to try and make the trailer as level as possible. hope this helps.