Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wj LCA swap ... notes and torque question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default wj LCA swap ... notes and torque question

reviewing threads I understand that WJ LCAs are a swap into my 87 XJ. Almost!

Bought new WJ LCAs for the swap. The frame and axle bushings are different in length and both are longer than stock XJ LCAs. They are much beefier and definitely an upgrade. I didn't want to 'stretch' any of the mounts, so you do need to cutoff the WJ bushings to size of stock LCA. Also, trim the ends of the axle end (oval shaped bushing) of the LCA, otherwise it binds during flex. One other tweak.... new LCAs will not return into body brackets w/o trimming about 1/2" of the axle bracket ... basically make a small notch in the bracket to allow the LCA to rotate upward into position. You'll also need to do the same to the shock mount. I don't believe that it reduced structural integrity, but someone with more knowledge could comment. It also helps to hammer down the top of the LCA slightly rear of the axle bushing to gain some additional clearance. These WJ LCAs are slightly taller than stock XJ and cause this clearance issue.

Finally got them in and really did notice a difference ... of course the old ones were original 87 LCA, so pretty shot!

Now to a question ... when I installed the WJ LCAs, I did so with full weight on the suspension and tightened the bolts really really tight. So actually 2 questions (1) Do I need to tighten to a specific torque? (2) Can they actually be wrenched down too tight that the LCA don't flex?

I'm guessing there is no way I can tighten down too much that the LCAs bind with all that weight and suspension force.

Thanks for any thoughts and hope the WJ LCA swap info if of use.

Last edited by okee87; 07-06-2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: I should have mentioned that this was done on a 4" lift. It may be true that WJ LCA are completely compatible on stock height