Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bar options for 8.5 lift using zj sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5
Default Sway bar options for 8.5 lift using zj sway bar

Hey everyone I have a few options in mind for installing a sway bar for my xj. I bought my jeep with no sway bar and on the freeway it can be all over the place. I have noticed most sway bar disconects are good for only 6.5" of lift. Today I grabbed a sway bar off a zj because it was all I cound find and they seemed a bit stronger at the pick your part. I have been reading some posted here about a zj sway swap but from a v8. The sway bar I picked up today seems like it will fit for my xj but with using the relocation brackets that move them down and forward because the end of the sway bar is hitting the spring on the passenger side. My question is should I go forward with installing this zj swaybar with drop brackets? And if so will I be able to use jks disconects instead of rustys? The ones from rustys are good for my lift hight but with the zj sway bar and drop brackets can I get away with using smaller Disconects? Her is the sway bar I grabbed from the junkyard

Passenger side rubs spring. Not sure if it's because it's from a zj

Last edited by Adamkaijorg; 08-06-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:07 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

What's your steering setup look like? Are you still running short arms? Can we see the angle of your control arms?
Old 08-06-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by emptypockets
What's your steering setup look like? Are you still running short arms? Can we see the angle of your control arms?

Had a 4x4 shop do the front alignment, sacrificed some pinion angle but drives good. Track bar and caster seem to be in alignment.

I am running ruggid ridge crossover system but have almost no dead spot.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:12 PM

my axle is centered and steering returns to center. I am wondering if the zj swaybar is also longer and would be a good fit
Old 08-06-2015, 11:56 PM

Your control arms are at a steep angle at that height and I'm curious how the track bar and drag link angles look compared to one another.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:01 AM

Your control arms are at a steep angle at that height and I'm curious how the track bar and drag link angles look compared to one another.
I am sitting on iron man control arms with drop brackets . A true long arm kit is what I eventually want. I can live with the way it handles now I just want to add a sway bar for better handling on road as this is my dd. With my lift the drag link is at quit a steep angle and a high steer is also on the to do list.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You could lower it and have less problems with a sway bar.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 5.0

Then it won't look cool at the mall.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Andrew is correct lower that thing till you can do it properly with a long arm kit or call it good with what you have and live with it.

At that height I would only use it off roar anyway not a DD for sure.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:21 PM

All your issue are from steering and control arm angles. The sway bar isn't going to help you in that regard, it'll just make the body sway less. Personally, I'd drop down in height and box that stuff away until I could do it the right way. Off or on road, you're not doing yourself any favors with your current setup.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:51 PM

All your issue are from steering and control arm angles. The sway bar isn't going to help you in that regard, it'll just make the body sway less. Personally, I'd drop down in height and box that stuff away until I could do it the right way. Off or on road, you're not doing yourself any favors with your current setup.
I have a ton of sway especially changing lanes. I don't think the sway bar will remedy the entire way it handles. As far as Long arm upgrades rustys has one for under 700 bucks has anyone had experience with their long arms?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 184 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

All you guys see 8.5" of lift and go bananas. As much as I agree with you, OP seems to have a pretty decent setup.

OP, I have the same issue with my sway bar hitting my coil at 6" of lift and stock bar. Not nearly as bad as in your pic though. If you have spacers to move it down and forward than definitely give it a shot, it won't hurt anything. Having the sway at hooked up will definitely help with stability.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
All you guys see 8.5" of lift and go bananas. As much as I agree with you, OP seems to have a pretty decent setup.
No one is going bananas and no one cares he's at 8.5" of lift. His setup isn't ideal at that lift height, period. If he was at 4.5" he'd have a decent setup for the lift.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99

OP, I have the same issue with my sway bar hitting my coil at 6" of lift and stock bar. Not nearly as bad as in your pic though. If you have spacers to move it down and forward than definitely give it a shot, it won't hurt anything. Having the sway at hooked up will definitely help with stability.
Thanks XJlimited! As I am sure most of you are I am on a budget. I will get long arms as i get the cash to do so. Regardless of lift I should be running some kind of sway bar . I am wondering what others have done In similar situations regarding sway bar fitment.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Adamkaijorg
I have a ton of sway especially changing lanes. I don't think the sway bar will remedy the entire way it handles. As far as Long arm upgrades rustys has one for under 700 bucks has anyone had experience with their long arms?
My XJ has a Rusty's LA lift on it. When I bought it, the thing sat at 9 inches in the rear & 8.5 up front with the stock driveshafts. Really. The VERY first thing I did was lower it to 6.5 in the rear & 5 up front.
I have no complaints with the arms. They are pretty beefy & seem to be well made. Some folks hate on Rusty's but i would disagree. RC gets no love, for a reason.

Quick Reply: Sway bar options for 8.5 lift using zj sway bar